Black And White Conversions

CrazyCresties

Ok, any B&W conversions I try are pretty much based on Lightroom presets and then tweeked to suit. I feel I need to understand a bit more about proper B&W conversions, especially since LukeW mentioned recently about not using the full tonal range :confused: (but thanks for the advice Luke :) )

So can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial or site that will educate me in the art of B&W :D

Thank you :)

Sorry, can't help coz I just play with the sliders :D

If you haven't already, in LR, go to the HSL menu on the right hand side and start playing in there. Crazy amount of delicate control on black and whites.

Is there something you feel you are missing in your conversions?

Sorry, can't help coz I just play with the sliders :D

lol, you're not much help then are you :laugh:

hmmm what do I think is missing? I feel they could be crisper and 'cleaner' if that makes sense :confused: but perhaps that's more to do with my exposure to start with :laugh:

I do play with the HSL sliders, but actually come to think of it, not so much with B&W. I'll pay attention to that next time, cheers :D

Don't forget the contrast slider, too.

Adding a touch of clarity can help crisp thing up.

After talking with a friend, I'm also much more inclined to play with the fill light and recovery sliders than I was before. He really pushes them sometimes and I've found instances where mucking hard with those has made all the difference. I thought they'd screw things up when pushed way way right, but they don't (on certain images, just like anything, I guess).

Are you finalizing your tweak with the tone curve? Doing that can add some pop.

Hope something helps. I might be biased but the black white prints I've done lately have come back gorgeous so I'm pretty happy with my lack of method!

oh and posting one that you think is 99% there but missing that pop might help get some creative juices going for suggestions, too.

Edited by kja

I find b&s white easier then color, but use ps. If you are struggling apparently Silver Efex by Nik Software is excellent. You can trial it and their products work with lightroom. I keep meaning to download a trial but have never got around to it

Thanks for all the tips guys :D I'll try and be a bit more adventurous and see if I like the results. I'll post a couple in here once I'm done and you can critique away ;) I'll check out Silver Efex too, cheers Helen :)

Huga - how can you say you are bad with colour :eek: I love the tone and overall effects you have in your colour shots, it's so distinctively 'you' :D

After talking with a friend, I'm also much more inclined to play with the fill light and recovery sliders than I was before. He really pushes them sometimes and I've found instances where mucking hard with those has made all the difference. I thought they'd screw things up when pushed way way right, but they don't (on certain images, just like anything, I guess).

One of the presets I use always really pushes these and I like the results :D