Animal Hoarders

OverAlready

An animal hoarder is distinguished from a person who keeps an unusually large number of pets, but who cares for them properly. A hoarder is distinguished from an animal breeder. Gary Patronek, director of the Center for Animals and Public Policy at Tufts University, defines hoarding as the "pathological human behavior that involves a compulsive need to obtain and control animals, coupled with a failure to recognize their suffering,"

Delusional Disorder

Animal hoarders display symptoms of delusional disorder in that they have a "belief system out of touch with reality".[16] Virtually all hoarders lack insight into the extent of deterioration in their habitations and on the health of their animals, refusing to acknowledge that anything is wrong.[15] Further, hoarders may believe they have "a special ability to communicate and/or empathize with animals,"[22] rejecting any offers of assistance. Delusional disorder is an effective model in that it offers an explanation of hoarders' apparent blindness to the realities of their situations.

Attachment Disorder

Another model that has been suggested to explain animal hoarding is attachment disorder, which is primarily caused by poor parent-child relationships during childhood. It is characterized by an inability to form "close relationships [with other humans] in adulthood".[22] As a result, those suffering from attachment disorder may turn to animals for companionship. Interviews with animal hoarders have revealed that hoarders have often experienced domestic trauma in childhood, which is the basis of the evidence for this model.[22]

Obsessive–compulsive Disorder

Perhaps the strongest psychological model put forward to explain animal hoarding is obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD). An overwhelming sense of responsibility for something is characteristic of OCD patients, who then take unrealistic measures to fulfill their perceived duty. Animal hoarders often feel a strong sense of responsibility to take care of and protect animals, and their solution—that of acquiring as many animals as they possibly can—is clearly unrealistic.[22] Further, the hoarding of inanimate objects, practiced by a majority of animal hoarders,[15] is a fairly common occurrence in OCD patients.[22] These connections between animal hoarding and obsessive–compulsive disorder suggest that OCD may be a useful model in explaining animal hoarding behavior.

So, how do you decide if a person is indeed a hoarder? Is there distinctive signs? I have my own opinions but I am looking for other prespectives to see if what I believe co-exists with others.

An animal hoarder is distinguished from a person who keeps an unusually large number of pets, but who cares for them properly. A hoarder is distinguished from an animal breeder. Gary Patronek, director of the Center for Animals and Public Policy at Tufts University, defines hoarding as the "pathological human behavior that involves a compulsive need to obtain and control animals, coupled with a failure to recognize their suffering,"

The key words are 'suffering', 'cares for them properly'.

I'm not a shrink. It's not my business to diagnose people's compulsions. But if their dogs/animals are suffering, as an animal lover, I feel an obligation to report it.

First sign is how well the animals are cared for.

But in my view that is not completely accurate for instance if you think of what has been found at certain puppy farms (large number of animals and not well cared for) they still don't count as hoarders as they are doing it for profit.

So another way to tell is how they react to having their animals taken away. Like any hoarder, animal hoarder's emotional well being is tied to their hoard. So if you come in and take it away they are likely to suffer a kind of emotional brakdown.

Also they will continue over and over again, to hoard unless they get treatment for it.

I also find, that at some point they have neglected the needs of their family (assuming they have one) and put the animals first. Not necessarily to the benefit of the animals. For example: A family of little financial resources , yet the hoarder (typically female) uses what little money they have to either buy more animals, or purchase food for the animals before the household. While this may sound ideal care for the animals, it points out the excessive need to be in control of the hoard.

So another way to tell is how they react to having their animals taken away. Like any hoarder, animal hoarder's emotional well being is tied to their hoard. So if you come in and take it away they are likely to suffer a kind of emotional brakdown.

Also they will continue over and over again, to hoard unless they get treatment for it.

Not sure that I agree with that. Come in and try and take my animals and prepare for war. My pets are part of the family and I would be highly emotional about any attempts to remove them without my consent.

Not sure that I agree with that. Come in and try and take my animals and prepare for war. My pets are part of the family and I would be highly emotional about any attempts to remove them without my consent.

I think you misunderstood me. Don't forget that is coupled with treating the pets poorly.

I don't imagine you treat your pets poorly.

And I say you wouldn't emotionally breakdown. As you say "prepare for war"; that's not emotional breakdown.