Nikon People

Rozzie

Be helpful to know:

- what you currently have for a body

- what lenses you prefer

- what you like to shoot

- what your current body isn't doing for you

- what you want your new body to do that your current one doesn't

These are actually quite important questions to answer for upgrades, if you please :)

- what your current body isn't doing for you

- what you want your new body to do that your current one doesn't

That works, too!

Just be aware that more MPs is not necessarily better - it's about the sensor. Marketers just use MPs coz it's easy to sound bite and people believe that a bigger number on most things is better :)

The D700 is hugely popular and everyone I know who uses one likes it.

Personally, I'd take the $2000 towards new lenses or a trip away to use the body I had if I didn't really NEED a new body :thumbsup: But then, I'm still shooting and adoring my 40Ds which are several several generations old now and I love to go do stuff!

BTW I haven't compared Nikon prices lately but I think I heard that BH Photo has some very good prices at the moment.

Edited by kja

I second the D7000. I know a couple of professionals that have bought it as a back up, apparently it kicks butt in low light (more so than the D300s, which I have). It also has video capabilities (not sure if that's important to you or not).

I am still dreaming of the D700 (but that's around $3K). Dreaming...

There are two options with many of their cameras and lenses. It will say if it's a grey market import in the description.

frankly, I don't understand the fuss on the difference. I've never had a problem buying either way. Though I've had very few problems at all with anything!

Nice scare tactics on that link LOL the only thing that *may" be an issue would be the warranty, but a great number of sellers of grey market items offer a Mac Warranty or similar which is often cheaper than the lens with standard warranty (and you can get a longer period, too).

I just think each purchaser needs to be aware of the realities of buying "grey market" items and then make the choice that works best for her/him. Sometimes those items will be an easy buy and sometimes one will choose to spend a bit more upfront for a non-grey.

Also note that some manufacturers try to limit warranty on bodies or lenses to the country of purchase - even if you buy from an authorised dealer. Theoretically, that means if you buy a body from some manufacturers in London and come to Australia and something happens in the warranty period, they may make you send it back to England for repair under warranty. I personally have not had this happen nor has anyone I know - the country the person was in when the problem occurred dealt with it under warranty with not much hassle. It may be something to consider when purchasing.

With as few problems as I've had with gear over the years, warranties don't rank very high on my needs list, in all honesty.

YMMV

Edited by kja