Rottie Pup Weight

This is from the Rottweiler standard

The Rottweiler is a medium to large size, stalwart dog, neither heavy nor light and neither leggy or weedy. His correctly proportioned, compact and powerful build leads to the conclusion of great strength, agility and endurance.

Height at withers for males is 61-68 cm (24-26 * ins)

61-62 cm is small

63-64 cm is medium

65-66 cm is large , correct height

67-68 cm is very large

Weight approximately 50 kg (110lbs)

Height at withers for bitches is 56-63 cm (22-25 ins)

56-57 cm is small

58-59 cm is medium height

60-61 cm is large , correct height

62-63 cm is very large

Weight approximately 42 kg (95 lbs)

Sounds like your pups size is quite normal for a dog his age considering he's a baby.

I'd agree and say he is on the small side. But depending on his lines, he might fill up later on.

The American dogs tend to weigh less, so it could be that influence there. I wouldn't worry too much for now and even if he ends up small, at least he'll be agile and quick. This is a case of time will tell, but as it stands, it does seem he'll be on the small side.

I am sorry I have to disgree with you here. (your comment in bold)

I have seen and know of many "German" bred Rottweilers who are on the smaller slighter frame as well, it really has nothing to do with with the country the dog was bred / orginated from, it is all about his genetics as to what he finishs at.

Edited to add; Some dogs take a lot longer to finish than others, again it is all about the genetics / lines of the dog.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I'd agree and say he is on the small side. But depending on his lines, he might fill up later on.

The American dogs tend to weigh less, so it could be that influence there. I wouldn't worry too much for now and even if he ends up small, at least he'll be agile and quick. This is a case of time will tell, but as it stands, it does seem he'll be on the small side.

I am sorry I have to disgree with you here. (your comment in bold)

I have seen and know of many "German" bred Rottweilers who are on the smaller slighter frame as well, it really has nothing to do with with the country the dog was bred / orginated from, it is all about his genetics as to what he finishs at.

Edited to add; Some dogs take a lot longer to finish than others, again it is all about the genetics / lines of the dog.

I have been told/read that generally speaking the Americans breed for a taller/skinnier dog.

That said, you're the breeder so I'll have to agree with you. :).

I think the old 'German' bred thing is a bit of an old wives tale and a bit of a marketing term ... phwarrr buy them german lines and they grow to the size of a pony!

I have seen German lines within the standard but they are gorgeous lean muscular dogs with high athleticism.

If your dog is healthy, well muscled, not fat or too thin then leave him be. The worst thing you can do is get hung up on numbers. I dont weight my dogs unless the vet makes me do it :laugh: I go by eye and by touch to see their body condition and that is a heck of a lot more useful in knowing what they need/dont need then plonking them on the scales.

Considering how much growing he has to do why are you comparing him to adult dogs? I wouldnt be looking at it for at least another 2 years.

Food guides always are simply that - a guide. A company will never underestimate how much food your dog will need due to legal reasons so they tend to be over the top. If your dog does fine on that amount then stick to it.

Agree :thumbsup: