Subsidised Desexing

Leema

Could you please let me know:

* what groups you know of that do subsidised desexing

* the cost of desexing through this group

* the approval process for this subsidised desexing

* anything else about subsidised desexing you think I should know.

I have found subsidised schemes for Melbourne and Sydney - but have now lost most of the details. :o

Santa Cruz County (California) charges $40 for spay or neuter. You must show tax returns to document that you are low income to get the subsidy. Funding comes through local government. If I remember right, barn cats (semi-feral) can be done for $20.

National Desexing Network prices-

Cats: Female $90 Male $ 65

Dogs: Female $170 Male $125

Pension or healthcare card needed - vets do not receive any funding through NDN they are just discounting to enable these clients to desex their pets.

Keysborough shelter also offers cheap desexing - http://www.aaps.org.au/vetclinic/vetclinic.html

Also a point is.... cheaper desexing is generally cheaper for a reason. They don't include fluids, they are done on a large scale, cheaper materials may be used, less monitoring (just simply due to the larger number of animals).

Thank-you very much for these comments so far. They are appreciated.

So, for clarification, with NDN: Vets contact NDN and say "Yes, I am happy to desex an animal for $X provided that you screen them to determine they are low income"?

Santa Cruz County (California) charges $40 for spay or neuter. You must show tax returns to document that you are low income to get the subsidy. Funding comes through local government. If I remember right, barn cats (semi-feral) can be done for $20.

plus the $2000 air fare for both human and animal

Thank-you very much for these comments so far. They are appreciated.

So, for clarification, with NDN: Vets contact NDN and say "Yes, I am happy to desex an animal for $X provided that you screen them to determine they are low income"?

Yep. Basically vets contact NDN themselves and agree to provide services for those prices. The client contacts NDN provides them their details and receive a voucher which they can then use to look up a vet near them that is with the NDN.

We have referred a lot of clients to NDN and haven't heard of any who have been rejected - most low income clients of ours do have either a pension or healthcare card.

Thanks heaps for these responses. Still looking for more examples. I'm trying to get a feel of what subsidised desexing costs are like, nationally (and don't mind the odd international example, too!).