We're Off To Obedience Class Tomorrow

suziwong66

Wilbur is finally vaccination 'up to date' and we're off to our first obedience class tomorrow. He and i both need the support and direction; he's just lately decided that he doesn't have to obey my commands. At lunch today he refused to obey commands so i went back in the house with his frozen chicken frame :laugh: we went through this motion about 3 more times till he got the message :thumbsup:

We survived our first day of obedience...because we were new members we just had an orientation session; so no pics - i'll try for next week RubyBlue :D He managed to, fairly well, sit/lay while the head trainer did the orientation. First day was welcoming...I'm always a little leery of clubs and their cliques & hierarchies but first day was good :D

the head trainer mentioned how calm he was...she has choc labs too. i came clean and told her he'd only had half of his breakfast so he would be more focused on me with a pocket full of treats :laugh:

You don't need to do that with the labs - it doesn't matter how full they are they are still just as keen for the next morsel :rofl:

Though come to think of it....I recon my hands come out of the training sessions more intact when shes not so hungry :p

the head trainer mentioned how calm he was...she has choc labs too. i came clean and told her he'd only had half of his breakfast so he would be more focused on me with a pocket full of treats :laugh:

You don't need to do that with the labs - it doesn't matter how full they are they are still just as keen for the next morsel :rofl:

Though come to think of it....I recon my hands come out of the training sessions more intact when shes not so hungry :p

Wilbur was born broken; he wasn't at all food motivated. We had to teach him to be food motivated and still doesn't 'perform' well unless partially hungry. He doesn't refuse food if it's on offer for free when he's full but won't 'perform' for it.

Wilbur was born broken; he wasn't at all food motivated. We had to teach him to be food motivated and still doesn't 'perform' well unless partially hungry. He doesn't refuse food if it's on offer for free when he's full but won't 'perform' for it.

I've heard about these broken labs - I thought they were an urban myth :p

I have found that despite my dog being willing to work for anything there are definitely foods which are higher value for her (cheese, devon, roast chicken and frankfurters mostly) which produce a much more motivated response. She also likes a tennis ball but it is too much for her (her brain goes into overload and the system freezes) but only feigns a mild interest in a tug. You'll just have to play around until you can work out what he really wants.

or....just keep starving him :D

I've heard about these broken labs - I thought they were an urban myth :p

I have found that despite my dog being willing to work for anything there are definitely foods which are higher value for her (cheese, devon, roast chicken and frankfurters mostly) which produce a much more motivated response. She also likes a tennis ball but it is too much for her (her brain goes into overload and the system freezes) but only feigns a mild interest in a tug. You'll just have to play around until you can work out what he really wants.

or....just keep starving him :D

we had to teach Wilbur to play soccer; all he wanted to do was hump the ball :laugh: Using a clicker i shaped him from touching his nose to the palm of my hand to pushing the ball with his nose. He likes tug, but we had to stop because he got out of control and would take a snap at anything nearby. we left it a few weeks and by that time had taught him 'give'. Then we incorporated 'give' and 'sit' into tug so that we can control the game. He's not a hard tugger now and can keep a sense of control about himself.