Best Time To Buy Another Puppy?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Ok so the balls have started to roll that I want another Pom (even though Lucy is only 6 months old and getting desexed next week). Will I go completely mad with 2 pups in the house? should i wait until she hits her adult stage of 1-2 years. I want her to have a little friend, she's a happy dog now gets oodles of attention but just loves playing with other dogs (barely notices me when i take her to play with my mums 3). I'm just thinking getting another pup now could either be a really good idea or a really stupid idea, anyones thoughts?

They're just so addictive :laugh:

I'd wait, 6 month old pups are easy because they have learned their manners and havn't tested out whether or not they can get away with stuff yet. She'll probably be a different story in another 6 months. I would also worry about the risk of the young dogs bonding more with each other than with me.

My general rule of thumb is not to get another dog til you have the current dog pretty much where you want it in regards to training and bond. My boy was 8 years old when I got my new pup (wouldnt have waited quite that long but situation didn't permit new pup before then)

Quinn is now 16 months old and no way could I fit in a 3rd dog, she just needs a lot of work still.

Edited by B-Q

I couldn't deal with two adolescents. At least I know with my girl now if I tell her to do something she will reliably do it - it means that I can confidently deal with a pup without wondering what shes getting into. She also roll models nicely for my friends pup with meeting other dogs/kids/cats/tied up/in out of car/etc. We are both ready now...she is 5yo.