Puppy Mouthing

terrace

Hi .

oscar`is doing what he'd do to other pups/dogs.

the difference is usually that other pups/dogs would growl/nip if he got too rough .

In my opinion, any pup/dog teeth on human skin is a NO NO ...but people differ.

I am posting links to some D O L threads which may be useful for you :) as it's a matter of finding what suits you and your particular puppy.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/219420-is-max-dominating-me-how-do-i-stop-it/page__p__5278999__hl__%2Bpuppy+%2Bmouthing__fromsearch__1#entry5278999

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/224777-bite-inhibition-vs-no-mouthing-humans/page__p__5439016__hl__%2Bmouthing+%2Bbiting__fromsearch__1#entry5439016

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/204904-mouthingbiting-issues/page__p__4809552__hl__%2Bmouthing+%2Bbiting__fromsearch__1#entry4809552

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/171842-are-teeth-ever-okay/page__hl__%2Bpuppy+%2Bmouthing

I hope you can find some strategies in here which will help :)

Our Staffy pup Arby (9.5 weeks) is also delightfull for this too (Oscar is very very cute!!)

We read a fair bit about this - and the importance of teaching 'bite inhabition' so in the future if he does bite through be startled / accidently hurt etc he won't bite hard.

When Arby bites we say "gentle" "gentle" until he is basically just licking. If he DOES bite HARD we yelp and turn away / leave the room and ignore him for 5 minutes (this usually only happens when we're playing and he gets a bit too in to it).

There's lots on here and other websites about Bite Inhabition, do try and have a read and see how you feel about it :)

Hi .

oscar`is doing what he'd do to other pups/dogs.

the difference is usually that other pups/dogs would growl/nip if he got too rough .

In my opinion, any pup/dog teeth on human skin is a NO NO ...but people differ.

I am posting links to some D O L threads which may be useful for you :) as it's a matter of finding what suits you and your particular puppy.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/219420-is-max-dominating-me-how-do-i-stop-it/page__p__5278999__hl__%2Bpuppy+%2Bmouthing__fromsearch__1#entry5278999

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/224777-bite-inhibition-vs-no-mouthing-humans/page__p__5439016__hl__%2Bmouthing+%2Bbiting__fromsearch__1#entry5439016

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/204904-mouthingbiting-issues/page__p__4809552__hl__%2Bmouthing+%2Bbiting__fromsearch__1#entry4809552

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/171842-are-teeth-ever-okay/page__hl__%2Bpuppy+%2Bmouthing

I hope you can find some strategies in here which will help :)

Thank You.

Our Staffy pup Arby (9.5 weeks) is also delightfull for this too (Oscar is very very cute!!)

We read a fair bit about this - and the importance of teaching 'bite inhabition' so in the future if he does bite through be startled / accidently hurt etc he won't bite hard.

When Arby bites we say "gentle" "gentle" until he is basically just licking. If he DOES bite HARD we yelp and turn away / leave the room and ignore him for 5 minutes (this usually only happens when we're playing and he gets a bit too in to it).

There's lots on here and other websites about Bite Inhabition, do try and have a read and see how you feel about it :)

Thank You

There are several things you can try. Some puppies take long to get it and can require more firm handling. You will just have to try and work out what works best for you and your puppy.

- Telling the puppy to be gentle and praising when for not biting

- Responding to the bite with a high pitch "ouch"

- Telling the puppy "no biting" and stop play with them

- Telling the puppy "no biting" with a firm but gentle grab around the scruff of the neck and stop play with them

I have had puppies where I did not have to even get to "no" where my current puppy now 7 months I had to (and have to for alot of things) be fairly firm.

Good luck :-)

There are several things you can try. Some puppies take long to get it and can require more firm handling. You will just have to try and work out what works best for you and your puppy.

- Telling the puppy to be gentle and praising when for not biting

- Responding to the bite with a high pitch "ouch"

- Telling the puppy "no biting" and stop play with them

- Telling the puppy "no biting" with a firm but gentle grab around the scruff of the neck and stop play with them

I have had puppies where I did not have to even get to "no" where my current puppy now 7 months I had to (and have to for alot of things) be fairly firm.

Good luck :-)

Thank You.

you're welcome! just make sure to set the nozzle to spray and not jet, it really startles them and makes them think twice about doing it again. hope it works :)

Hello, we have the water spray bottle at the ready so we`ll give it a go and see how he reacts. He`s a determined little so and so though. Terrorises the cat Bam Bam also. :D

post-39771-0-12624200-1318033363_thumb.jpg

just be careful of him around the cat ..one day cat may get cross- and pup can easily lose an eye ! :(

exactly! that's why i had to get a baby gate and make sure they're always seperated cause i don't want no one-eyed puppy and a huge vet bill.

Yes good point about the cat. We`ll keep them apart. :D

Don't keep them totally apart ..or your pup will not learn ANY manners . ..and he may be even more keen tyo run after teh cat :( Supervise, and use your voice..or just pick pup up and remove him from the chair/whatever. Maybe have a leash attached when he is with the cat..and just pull him off if he's being a pain. provide somewhere high/safe where the cat can get access...but not the dog. That way the cat can CHOOSE where to be :)

provide plenty of soft toys..interactive toys, bones, and little training sessions to keep pup occupied. outside, give him a digging pit , lots of balls to chase, etc.

Don't keep them totally apart ..or your pup will not learn ANY manners . ..and he may be even more keen tyo run after teh cat :( Supervise, and use your voice..or just pick pup up and remove him from the chair/whatever. Maybe have a leash attached when he is with the cat..and just pull him off if he's being a pain. provide somewhere high/safe where the cat can get access...but not the dog. That way the cat can CHOOSE where to be :)

provide plenty of soft toys..interactive toys, bones, and little training sessions to keep pup occupied. outside, give him a digging pit , lots of balls to chase, etc.

Thank You

yay! good to hear. was pup startled from it the first time he got sprayed? i remember seeing my pup's face everytime he got sprayed, it was like "what the hell was that? mum, you're so mean!" and then everytime he'd consider going for the nip, he'd sort of stop for a second and remember what will happen if he goes for it and then he'd back off, lol. hope it continues to work out for you! :thumbsup:

Hi, hope the spray keeps working. I had to stop my girl biting too, she was a terror. I used the saying ouch thing and Uh-uh. It worked, she is 16 weeks now and no biting since about 11 weeks.

Wanted to add something about the cat problem :)

My pup would chase and harass and try to play with the cats....I was worried and would always try to stop her.

Well, the other day when she was eating the kitten (6 mths) went and tried to eat her food. I saw it and went running but...... she looked up and then sat back and let the kitty eat!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I had to take a pic it was soooooo cute! Hopefully your pup will come around soon :)