Moving House

rubiton

Our old dog Dixie needs routine to feel comfortable and for nearly ten years she had that living in the same place. Then we built a new house about five minutes down the road. To get her used to the area we'd walk her there every day and she loved the new environment, we even took her to the house as it was getting built and again, no problems.

Then it was time to start moving in. Luckily, it was a gradual move as Dixie did not want anything to do with the new house. If we had to get her inside it was only by literally dragging her in and she would even brace against getting out of the car. I just left her there with the doors open and didn't bother getting her inside until she was ready.

After about a month of desensitisation she gradually accepted the new house (and that was about the time we were to move in - luckily) and now you would never know as she is as comfortable as she was in the old house.

For those who know a little about dog body language have a look at the before picture and then compare that with the very relaxed now (that's the one with the new dog Dusty who wasn't around when we moved in).

And we're all happy sitting on the floor as the dogs watch TV on the couch biggrin.gif

post-30619-0-81324700-1317811601_thumb.jpg

post-30619-0-94797800-1317811735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dixetti

Yes we had been a the other house about 10 years from when we got her so she doesnt know any different. New one is bigger so she seems to get lost when trying to work out where we are. But has started to let us out of her sight however still unsure about going outside moreso after dark.

I've moved 7 times in 9 years. It always takes a few weeks before the dogs really settle in, and the barking subsides to the normal level. Adrenalin and cortisol are heightened in times of stress, so the dogs bark at thngs they normally wouldn't until they are well and truly settled. During the move, I always have someone stay at the house with the dogs and don't move the dog until everything is set up. I always wait until there are familiar items such as lounges and rugs. Crates help with the whole process, as the dogs have their safe zone to retreat to. This has worked well for 3 diferent dogs over the moves. Usually I stay at the vacating premesis and OH is at the other end directing the boxes (that part of the move never works!). If I have to go to the new house, for any reason, then I make sure the dogs have someone really familiar with them- either my 11yo son plus an adult to supervise him, or my mum or father in law who have stayed with us for extended periods. After we move we spend a lot of time with basic obedience to help the dogs re focus.

.... she kept stressing if she couldnt see us . ....

They are all different aren't they.

We just moved and the dogs didn't even "settle in" - they just belonged and accepted in the first minute. They like the move so much they don't stress out at all when we leave them, they are so relaxed with the new surroundings. Such a relief, because they are tearaways by nature, and I was afraid they would try to do a "Lassie Come Home".