Toledo Dog Trailers

Marlfoxx

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone had any issues with their Toledo dog trailers?

We are wanting to get one second hand, a large 4 berth to transport 4 GSDs around and so far we've only heard good things about them.

Are there any questions we should be asking about them?

Does anyone have one for sale!?

Cheers!!

I'm on my second Toledo and can't complain. There's nothing wrong with mine and I haven't had anything go wrong with either.

I think they are pretty good value for the money and if you look after it, they hold their value well.

Try the classifieds on the home page, there's trailer for sale on there.

I would stay away from any that have been used by Greyhound people, they generally aren't very well looked after and do a lot of KM's. You might find the odd good one, but most of them have had Greyhound pee through them and are pretty rough

I'm on my second Toledo and can't complain. There's nothing wrong with mine and I haven't had anything go wrong with either.

I think they are pretty good value for the money and if you look after it, they hold their value well.

I would stay away from any that have been used by Greyhound people, they generally aren't very well looked after and do a lot of KM's. You might find the odd good one, but most of them have had Greyhound pee through them and are pretty rough

Thanks Pav Lova!

Do you know those which parts of the trailer wear down the most? (Other than the tyres of course! :laugh: )

I did put up an ad in the wanted section of the classifieds but havent had any response yet.

There are a few listed in classifieds i know, but not in the large size - i was speaking to another GSD owner who said the medium is just a bit squishy for them, and those that are there are over our budget. :(

Thanks Pav Lova!

Do you know those which parts of the trailer wear down the most? (Other than the tyres of course! :laugh: )

I did put up an ad in the wanted section of the classifieds but havent had any response yet.

There are a few listed in classifieds i know, but not in the large size - i was speaking to another GSD owner who said the medium is just a bit squishy for them, and those that are there are over our budget. :(

Just make sure that the wheel bearings have been repacked or regreased when necessary.

Depending on how many km's the trailer has travelled. And yes Greyhound trailers would do a fair few km's.We have just sold our Trend/trickey trailer. Hubby regreased the wheel bearings awhile ago and while we havent done many km's since I would check that these have been done.

Other than that our trailer has been well looked after. It doesnt take much to give them a bit of care and attention.

We have an older, large, four berth one. I really like it, but it does leak a bit. A little around the whirlybirds, and in heavy rain I've had significant road-spray come up through the ventilation slots and door & wondow frames in the sides and soak the inside.

The propensity to sometimes leak a little makes me very aware of the wooden floor so I keep an eye out for damp and open it on nice windy days if it's not in frequent use. If I had a garage it wouldn't matter!! :laugh:

The one time it really leaked was really in very significant rain though, flooded and closed the Pacific Hwy!! Plus we were driving in it for about 5 hours.

So for normal use I haven't have an issue with it and despite being older it's really good, and great to tow. The dogs love it too which is always a bonus!!

I have also had the wheel bearings done though. But I think I'd do that on any older trailer, as they're often neglected and it's a pretty simple/cheap thing anyway.

I love my Toledo (medium 4 berth with wardrobe). We have had it 5 years. I get it serviced yearly. Like Alyosha my only hassle has been one of the whirly thingos leaks water. I bought a cover to put over it when it is just sitting here.

Sorry, I have no experience with trailers, but I did notice one for sale in the Off Topic section. You don't have access to Off Topic as you need 250 posts to get in there, so here is the post. Might be too far away from you though?

Toledo dog trailer available. One owner first reg 2007 full 12 months rego. Good clean condition large four berth plus wardrobe (could make a six berth), doors and bays to suit large breeds ie: Great Danes. Tows well. $4800 no rust. Rear berth has a slight leak in heavy weather (seems to be a problem with this brand) Selling due to to size upgrade. Buyer to arrange own delivery interstate can deliver local SEQ area.

Oh! Thanks guys! this is an awesome start!

:eek: $4800 is probably a bit more than we wanted to spend - although it is exactly what we are looking for!! Thanks Sir WJ

Hmmm, so the leaking is a common thing?? That could be a problem...do dogs catch colds?!? :cry:

So, i notice that other trailers also usually have the whirly things - so do all trailers with whirly things leak...or just the Toledo's...

We had a Toledo and had lots of problems with water spray coming up through the door vents. So much so that if it looked damp on the road, we hung a towel between the door and wire to trap some of the spray. In the end, we used to travel with the dogs in the car and our gear in the trailer. As it was a design issue, there was nothing we could do except sell it and never buy a trailer with downward facing vent panels again.

Edited by Dxenion

Marlfoxx,

I have a Classic trailer with downward facing vents - doesn't leak to my knowledge, no leaking around the whirlys either. Perhaps the Toledo has a design flaw?

I bought mine secondhand about 7 years ago. We looked in the DOL classifieds - criteria of size, berths and price. I think you just need to keep looking and you'll find what you're after.

If it's your first trailer, don't be too picky about brand - I reckon they all hold their value well, if you look after and do maintenance regularly. Just keep looking for the size you need in the budget range you can afford. Preloved are fine, but I do agree with the comments about trailers for Greyhounds doing many kms.

Good luck...

Sonia (the legend of the run...) :laugh: