Flying Dogs To Nz

nickyp

Hi all,

My SIL has just landed a job in Wellington, New Zealand and will be taking her two labs, Clooney (choccy) and Maybe (yellow), with her. She's asked me to ask the font of all canine knowledge, DOL, what she needs to know to fly them over there.

This is going to be a long term/permanent move.

Does NZ have any vaccination requirements that wouldn't be covered by their Australian vaccs?

Which is best company to use to transport the dogs?

What have I forgotten to ask?

Thanks, Sue. I'll pass that link on to SIL.

What companies are best for flying dogs to NZ? I've heard of Jetpets and Dogtainers - do they go O/S? Does anyone have any recommendations, or warnings of ones to stay away from?

If she is going to be with the dogs at all times ie doesn't need them boarded while she goes on ahead, can go to the vet with them, can take them to the airport herself then it really doesn't matter who books the flight because they will never have charge of the dogs and all dogs travel in the same part of the plane regardless of who booked them on.

If she needs the transporter to actually have the dogs in their care, then obviously she's going to want lots of personal recommendations :) ETA: Yes, both the ones you mention do overseas travel.

Are the dogs used to being crated? If not, she will need to get on to this quickly as it's really not fair on the dog for it's first crate experience to be on a plane.

Make sure she has with her (not packed with household effects) multiple items of proof that she owned the dogs in Australia (vaccination card, council rego receipt, ANKC rego certificate etc) AND proof that she lived at the address on these items (power bill, phone bill, bank statement etc) In NZ customs gouge GST out of you for dogs if you can't prove they've been yours the whole time - even if you have it in writing that you paid nothing for them.

Edited by Sandra777

I'm in the process of sending a pup overseas with Dogtainers and they've been great. They will know all the requirements and organise everything involved if your SIL gives them a ring.

They've done a couple of domestic ones for me already and are very good. They seem to understand how precious their cargo is and how nervewracking for owners/breeders. I'm sure the others do too - I just haven't had personal experience with them. :)

Thanks for those responses, Sandra and Aloysha.

I don't know whether the dogs will be going at the same time as SIL or if she's going over first and they will follow, once she's found somewhere to live. I'm pretty sure neither dog has been crate-trained, so that's something I'll suggest she gets underway. I think she's got at least a couple of months before she goes. Her new job is an academic post at a uni, so I assume she doesn't actually start until early 2012. This should give her plenty of time to get them used to being crated.