Litters Due In December 2011

Bilbo Baggins

No further movement here (thank goodness) but as I had to head into town yesterday I decided to nip her into the vet for a quick last minute check up. Her cervix is dilated and she is expected to have pups in the next day or two. She also said that her uterus is large but not packed full which is a good thing as she shouldn't have them overlapping. She has eaten most of her breakfast this morning but did have a little chuck (which she has eaten up again :laugh: ) - thinking that if the vet was right it will be tomorrow.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No further movement here (thank goodness) but as I had to head into town yesterday I decided to nip her into the vet for a quick last minute check up. Her cervix is dilated and she is expected to have pups in the next day or two. She also said that her uterus is large but not packed full which is a good thing as she shouldn't have them overlapping. She has eaten most of her breakfast this morning but did have a little chuck (which she has eaten up again :laugh: ) - thinking that if the vet was right it will be tomorrow.

I'm getting excited. :D :D :D :D :D

Took her temp today for the first time and it was only 36.9 but she ate like a piggy still this morning. She has been doing a little digging over the last few days but nothing like I'm used to in our whelping rescue bitches so I will be surprised if she does go within the next 24 hours. If she took from the natural tie she would be due on Friday but as her prog test was only 2 on that day we're expecting her to go more likely over the weekend.

I had my girl Prog tested in the morning, her temp had dropped slightly (was probably on the way down) the Vet rang me at 5.00 pm to tell me the Prog test result, which was also 2.

So they are busy telling me the result and suggesting if she hasn't had it in two days to come in and have her tested again.

I had much amusement in telling them she's had the pup a half hour earlier. :)

I think they like the security of the 'cave' more so then the openess of a whelping box

I put a pen around the whelping box and covered and pegged it with layers of empty doona covers, top and around, all except the front which I left exposed. Cozy.

Worked nicely and kept the drafts out.

I'm getting excited. :D :D :D :D :D

You should have seen the milk dripping on to the table at the vets when she was being examined!!! :laugh:

No further movement here (thank goodness) but as I had to head into town yesterday I decided to nip her into the vet for a quick last minute check up. Her cervix is dilated and she is expected to have pups in the next day or two.

How did the vet check that the cervix was dilated, as even on a smaller bitch (Frenchie as an example) the cervix is more then a fingers length from the opening.

She did an internal.

She still couldn't have reached the cervix, have you seen the length of an AI tube?

An internal on a Fauve not in season, nor in active labour im surprised a) that she did it, b) she allowed c) you allowed it.

NORMAL WHELPING IN THE BITCH

- By Autumn P. Davidson

Because of the anatomy of most bitches, dilation of the cervix is not detectable by a vaginal exam, it requires a special scope.

Clinical Canine and Feline reproduction

- By Margaret V. Root Kustritz

A digital vaginal examination will not permit assesment of cervical dilation, as the canine vagina is too long for human fingers to reach the cervix.

NORMAL WHELPING IN THE BITCH

- By Autumn P. Davidson

Because of the anatomy of most bitches, dilation of the cervix is not detectable by a vaginal exam, it requires a special scope.

Clinical Canine and Feline reproduction

- By Margaret V. Root Kustritz

A digital vaginal examination will not permit assesment of cervical dilation, as the canine vagina is too long for human fingers to reach the cervix.

Okay thanks for that.

We often will do an internal on a bitch presented in possible labour.

You can access at least over the pelvic rim to detect a puppy present or feel the elasticity of the canal & vulva as being associated with labour / birth.

fifi

We often will do an internal on a bitch presented in possible labour.

You can access at least over the pelvic rim to detect a puppy present or feel the elasticity of the canal & vulva as being associated with labour / birth.

fifi

I agree with you, however was are talking about two different things.

Marie is on day 63 from a progesterone of 2, :confused:

The vet stated she could feel her cervix was dilated, The whole point of this discussion is you can not feel the canine cervix with a finger.

I think they like the security of the 'cave' more so then the openess of a whelping box

I put a pen around the whelping box and covered and pegged it with layers of empty doona covers, top and around, all except the front which I left exposed. Cozy.

Worked nicely and kept the drafts out.

Yes, that is what I do with mine, but I tend to have litters in the cooler end of the UK year, not have to contend with a hot Oz summer, so would that make a difference to how 'wrapped up' the whelping area is?