How Good Are They

Talien

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forsee you getting swept up into the mess here and having to look after a litter of pups.

I've had a similar situation happen to me and it was NOT fun at all.

I ended up buying so much food, weaning a litter of puppies and everything else.

I had my own pup at the time too :mad

Not something I plan on doing again until I actually plan a litter.

Saddest bit was the owner of the bitch was so 'proud' that she made a 'profit' from the litter.

I could have screamed.

You'd better read up on caring for a litter of pups then Tailen.

The dog is going to the vet. Not till tuesday when they have money, but she's going. I HOPE that the vet can talk some sense into my friend. I love my friend. She should not own a dog. Elysia should not be bred from. There are too many variables and she (and I) know NOTHING about breeding. Breeding is not something I (who respects dogs and their breeding) would ever get into on my own, not at least without a lot of help and support from someone who has a lot of experience. And certainly not in a rental property with no money!

Someone (sorry there were so many posts to read through) asked where these puppies would be sold. I have advised my friend that if she attempts to "sell" them then she is liable, and that she could be liable regardless. I don't remember the last time I saw a pet shop here in Ballarat selling puppies, a few years ago now I think. That is NOT an option here. Simply because I will not allow it, this much I can do, if Elysia is pregnant (most likely) and the pregnancy goes through to completion, then I will make sure that each puppy is appropriately placed with loving people. If they ever cannot keep the pup then they will hopefully be returned to us/susan. That said obviously we cannot control what happens to the dogs, but we will definitely make the new owners aware that we will be available.

If you're moving out in November do you really think she'll take any puppies back if they don't work out???

How is she going to afford vaccinations, worming, microchipping and feeding the bitch as well as a litter??

What happens when they don't get homes and they are still there when they're 3, 4, 5 months old???

I am hoping that they're neither amstaff-like or border collie x's. Being a country "town" a lot of pet owners seem to have border collies or crosses here in Ballarat, or at least they're the type usually wandering. They will be hard to home if they are. There are so many potential variables. If she does have puppies, I hope they at least look like labs, that way they have an ok chance at being homed well.

Don't like your chances there....

Knowing that people are going to go nuts about this please be thoughtful of your answers to this knowledge.

Elysia's owner is very religious and pro-life. Whilst the vet did suggest aborting and spaying, for the owner it is simply not an option she will consider. They have the monetary means to support their conviction should a litter occur. I have done my best and now am now working to educate her the best that I can on puppies and whelping however the vet will be heavily utilized. Hopefully my friend will learn from this experience and have her spayed after the fact.

No money? Money?

Does she actually know how much a litter can cost?

They have financial support if they need it. I'm moving out in November, any mistakes she has made or will make are hers to deal with.

Thankyou to everyone who showed care for elysias loss and safe return, it's appreciated.

They have financial support if they need it. I'm moving out in November, any mistakes she has made or will make are hers to deal with.

Thankyou to everyone who showed care for elysias loss and safe return, it's appreciated.

which totally contradicts this

Simply because I will not allow it, this much I can do, if Elysia is pregnant (most likely) and the pregnancy goes through to completion, then I will make sure that each puppy is appropriately placed with loving people. If they ever cannot keep the pup then they will hopefully be returned to us/susan. That said obviously we cannot control what happens to the dogs, but we will definitely make the new owners aware that we will be available.

You won't even be there if there are pups to be born.confused.gif

Knowing that people are going to go nuts about this please be thoughtful of your answers to this knowledge.

Elysia's owner is very religious and pro-life. Whilst the vet did suggest aborting and spaying, for the owner it is simply not an option she will consider. They have the monetary means to support their conviction should a litter occur. I have done my best and now am now working to educate her the best that I can on puppies and whelping however the vet will be heavily utilized. Hopefully my friend will learn from this experience and have her spayed after the fact.

I feel very sorry for you. I was in a similar situation (no risk of pregnancy thankfully). I had to leave - months of banging heads against walls just isn't good for you. Unfortunately if something needed to be done - it was up to me to do it. Speaking to her now it is clear that nothing has changed. It is one of the reasons I believe you should have to sit a test to own an animal.

I think everyone needs to give Talien a bit of a break, this isn't her dog, she has tried to do the right thing, but she has her own life to lead, and its not her responsibility to do anything more for this girl and her dog, so what if she is moving out before the pups would be due...the dog isn't hers, circumstances change...but I'm sure when she gets her pup, he will be getting the snip lol

Just trying to give her a chance to get her story straight.wink.gif

Not really.

[x] Demeaning her

[x] Sullying her reputation

[x] Doubting what she feels are her good intentions

[x] Calling her a liar

[x] Being a bully

In no way do I need to justify my life or my choices to you, Rozzie, or to anyone else. I am moving out because the landlady said that ***I*** couldn't have a dog on the property. I want my dog secure in it's life with us and found a house with a massive backyard for him ^.^ As soon as is healthy for him he will be desexed. This doesn't change the fact that I love Elysia. I always will. The owner's monetary situation changes on how much she wants something, but when it comes to ensuring the litter and Elysia will be ok, she wont spare expense (I have terrified her I think with what could happen), so as I said a vet will be heavily utilised.

I wasn't going to participate in this thread any longer, and after this post probably will cease to altogether. If you want to judge me on my relationship with Elysia that's ok but don't dare make the mistake of thinking that ***I*** will be a bad pet owner.

I wanted to say a heartfelt thankyou to those of you who have stood up for me, I was considering leaving DOL, but if it is a select few who choose to be rude about it then I will stick to other threads :)

I certainly didn't want this thread to catch on fire there has been enough of that on DOL of recent, my question was answered and Elysia is home. For the most part safely.

xoxox to All, please stay safe and remember that circumstances change and that I have to do what is best for my family and I first and foremost.

Just trying to give her a chance to get her story straight.wink.gif

Not really.

[x] Demeaning her No

[x] Sullying her reputation No

[x] Doubting what she feels are her good intentions No, no doubt whatsoever

[x] Calling her a liar Where???

[x] Being a bully No, just asking for clarification

And for you Talien, I don't give a bugger about your life or your choices. I was somewhat confused by your statements and contradictions and asked for clarification.