Dog Treats

Talien

I wanted to say a HUGE thankyou to everyone who has suggested liver treats. I live a girl who ons a gorgeous but badly trained Labrador.

I got some liver treats to see how they worked with Elysia and it is magical! I have let her inside and she has been very happily lying by my side. She even walked (after a little bit of work) without pulling on the lead (only in the backyard though).

it's magical!!!!

Liver treats are great for training and so is cabanossi. My lab will do anything for a bit of cabanossi but she only gets them on Sundays at training day at dog school.

Mine loves cabanossi too and you can buy it from Woollies precut into nice little doggie-treat sizes :thumbsup:

Liver treats are great for training and so is cabanossi. My lab will do anything for a bit of cabanossi but she only gets them on Sundays at training day at dog school.

Mine loves cabanossi too and you can buy it from Woollies precut into nice little doggie-treat sizes :thumbsup:

Precut! That's what I need. Mine work so well for sausage type meat but I am so sick of slicing it up into tiny peices!

Precut! That's what I need. Mine work so well for sausage type meat but I am so sick of slicing it up into tiny peices!

Woollies in the fridge section with packaged bacon, ham etc. It comes in a twin pack and I'm convinced it's deliberately cut into doggy-treat size :laugh:

I have recently been trying the liver treats.

Wow. Wooooooow!

I now have my surrogate dog eating the treats without touching my skin, she used to snap the treat out of your hand and now all you get is the light tickle of whiskers! These are amazing!

Update:

I also now have her walking on a loose leash! This is so wonderful it's going to make her an absolute pleasure to walk now!

Edited by Talien

Just be careful with cabonassi (sp) - it is very high in salts, preservatives and sulphates. If you're going to use it, only use tiny, tiny amounts.

I roast chicken thighs in the oven - they loooooove them and they're 100% additive free.

Just be careful with cabonassi (sp) - it is very high in salts, preservatives and sulphates. If you're going to use it, only use tiny, tiny amounts.

I roast chicken thighs in the oven - they loooooove them and they're 100% additive free.

Yep I agree Megan. Sasha only gets it all cut up in small pieces but usually she has a mixture of other stuff, from liver treats, to fruit and veg. I'm lucky that she works just as well for the "boring treats" LOL. Chicken is really good I have found but its just a bit messy.

I use roast chicken pieces as treats for Indi's training for the same reason - I'm not keen on any purchased treats due to the high salt content. However cabanossi's great when you don't have time to throw the chicken in the oven (not a daily treat though) - it's also sliced into very thin pieces.

I've been working with Elysia (labrador) in an attempt to get her loose leash walking. The only problem I seem to be having is that out in the "world" there are more distractions. I don't think that the liver treats are of high enough value to her for her to really work for them, ie in the presence of smells and things she's really interested in.

Mostly I have her loose leash walking but she still get's in front and pulls a little and I want her to be walking beside me. Is this unrealistic? Is it just that she wants to smell things or could I change this with a higher value treat?

Ultimately a tennis ball will have her 100% focused but of course I can't throw the ball for her whilst she is on a leash so I'm sort of at a loose end (pun intended :laugh: )

Can't claim credit for this one but I marinate beef stirfry strips in oil and crushed garlic and then fry in a rather liberal amount of butter.

Dog is not normally hugely food motivated but turns himself inside out for this when it's still warm from the pan.

I've found boiled heart is very motivating. We had a house guest here a while ago who we were told would not work for treats. He worked for boiled heart. That was all, but once we got him working for boiled heart we were able to move to ordinary treats.

I use Scotty's rolls, now, thanks to bedazzledx2. They hold together well and are healthy. I get a 2kg roll and cut up half for the freezer and the other half goes in the dehydrator. Not fond of finding feather shafts and chicken claws in my dehydrator, but at least I know it definitely has chicken in it! Just don't do the one that has fish. Everything ends up smelling fishy.

I've been working with Elysia (labrador) in an attempt to get her loose leash walking. The only problem I seem to be having is that out in the "world" there are more distractions. I don't think that the liver treats are of high enough value to her for her to really work for them, ie in the presence of smells and things she's really interested in.

Mostly I have her loose leash walking but she still get's in front and pulls a little and I want her to be walking beside me. Is this unrealistic? Is it just that she wants to smell things or could I change this with a higher value treat?

Ultimately a tennis ball will have her 100% focused but of course I can't throw the ball for her whilst she is on a leash so I'm sort of at a loose end (pun intended :laugh: )

LOL if you can figure out how to get Elysia the lab to do this than could you let know LOL. My lab is a puller sometimes too. Funnily enough she managed to get Second Place in her advance obedience class last weekend and she did so well in the heeling and loose lead walking.

I have had some success though. Before I couldn't walk her without a halti or harness and now I just walk her with a leash so progress has been made. She is most likely interested in smelling things ( especially in different surroundings, Sasha gets like that too. ) I usually let her do her business and then make our walk in a sense a training session. So I will have a treat in my left hand closed so she can smell it and then she usually follows my hand and walks beside me fairly well however remember loose lead walking really means the dog can be a little bit in front of you ( but no pulling) it has to be loose. Heeling is when they have to be right beside you and focused on you. ( well thats the explanation I was given at school as I was told Sasha didn't know the difference. She sure showed them though in her exam LOL.

I was also told when I walk Sasha to reward her when the lease is loose consistently so she associates loose lead with good things. Also if she pulls to stand like a tree and not move ( which can be hard) or walk backwards or change directions often. I do this everyday just so she never knows what is happening and to keep her on her toes. While the walking backwards thing does look funny, it's amazing how she will suddenly behaviour as she thinks we are going home and will usually continue for a bit with a loose lead.

You can train her with a tennis ball ( people have suggested this for Sasha) but unfortunately Sasha associates the ball with play time however I have seen someone at dog school train their dog just with a ball. Like this dog will do ANYTHING for the ball. The key is finding what really motivates the dog.

You could try a higher value treat if all you are giving her is liver treats. But she should definately be able to smell them but sometimes they work better if they are given a little variety or a special treat when they do something really well.

Again this is just my experience. I"m no expert but this is what the trainers at dog school have told me to try and it must be working as now I just walk her with a lead.

Just a question though, when you take her for a walk is she excited? Or do you wait till she is calm? And do you leave first when you walk out the door? I never use to until I was told to, and once I did it reinforces to Sasha that I'm the leader and I go first and she must wait until I allow her.

Hope this is some help to you :-)