What Would You Do?

Red Fox

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Loving this thread. My guy isn't a Mal, but hes working line and the drive is definitely there!

Oh nice :) What are your plans for him?

The plan..Surviving puppyhood ;D? Haha.

Not too sure, I'm working with K9 Pros puppy program, building his drive and focus in the right direction :)! Working on tug and using the flirt pole at the moment to do that. (Heres a vid from today!

, first time on the front lawn with all its added distractions, and I brought my lab Riddick along too to make it even harder :D! He did excellent. I am terribly awkward still but getting better)

Obedience is definitely first! Love the idea of tracking but no idea where to start. Also agility! The possibilities are endless with such a clever drivey pup :)!

What are your plans for your Mal? I think more photos are needed ;D!

LOL Ness, Kei only has eye's for your Midget ;)

Looks like he's doing well LMS. Where is he from?

Elka is my little Schutzhund prospect. My aim is for her is Sch III (BIG dreams lol) but might just start with BH and CCD :p

Not sure how productive summer will be though. It's 36 degrees here and both dogs are zonked out on the tiles!

lovemysideways go join a schutzhund club asap to get that pup started in tracking and obedience. Sch and ANKC obedience/agility are two different things so decide now what you want. I don't use stay with my dogs whereas ANKC does. They will also teach you tracking. He has a reasonable amount of drive be careful with puppies, wiggling the toy like that when they're hanging on can hurt their neck or rip out a tooth at their age ... saying that some pups care, some dont :laugh: I cant see how deep he's biting either is he front or back teeth biting?

Schutzhund isnt as hard and unattainable as people think it is. At least you guys are in a state where it's legal! I can't Sch title here legally except for a BH. *sigh*

lovemysideways go join a schutzhund club asap to get that pup started in tracking and obedience. Sch and ANKC obedience/agility are two different things so decide now what you want. I don't use stay with my dogs whereas ANKC does. They will also teach you tracking. He has a reasonable amount of drive be careful with puppies, wiggling the toy like that when they're hanging on can hurt their neck or rip out a tooth at their age ... saying that some pups care, some dont :laugh: I cant see how deep he's biting either is he front or back teeth biting?

Schutzhund isnt as hard and unattainable as people think it is. At least you guys are in a state where it's legal! I can't Sch title here legally except for a BH. *sigh*

I have one that doesn't care about pain in the slightest. As long as she can bite something it's all good :laugh:

It's a sucky situation with Sch in Vic :( Your state has some fantastic trainers and competitors too!

Did you manage to get any vids yesterday? I downloaded the Leerburg competition tracking DVD last night. It's old, but a good enough guuide for starting basic footstep tracking with food drops.

Finally found the food treat that trips her switch too - a fistful of minced chicken carcus. Yum :vomit:

Well LMSW is doing the working/sport puppy raising DLP with Steve so its not like she is doing nothing :laugh: no point in training any sport without good foundations. She is starting early, she's training now.

excuse me Huski where did I say she is doing nothing? I recommended a Sch club as they can practically show her the tracking and obedience components and also you get to watch the older dogs do it. You can do foundation preywork, but starting a working pup at this age on basics of the work you want them to do later (like tracking, bitework etc) you can really help cement some good habits for down the track. Goes for all dogs but particularly working line as they're so fast to soak things up and want to learn.

Believe it or not I do have a wee idea about foundation work for sport and working dogs. I didnt realise I had to go through the Huski filter to give an opinion.

Did you manage to get any vids yesterday? I downloaded the Leerburg competition tracking DVD last night. It's old, but a good enough guuide for starting basic footstep tracking with food drops.

Finally found the food treat that trips her switch too - a fistful of minced chicken carcus. Yum

let me guess the stinkier the better?

We ended up having a groom a dog at dog club. It was groomed half way at a vet clinic and apparently too aggressive to finish. Took 3 of us to do it in the grooming room, matted to the skin and between all his front toes/in his armpits he had grass seeds. No wonder he was throwing a fit. We cleaned him up nicely after 2 hours and he's going to the vet to have the grass seed in his paws removed under sedation ASAP.

The things we do at dog training ... I'm still sore from holding him.

Edited by Nekhbet

Well LMSW is doing the working/sport puppy raising DLP with Steve so its not like she is doing nothing :laugh: no point in training any sport without good foundations. She is starting early, she's training now.

excuse me Huski where did I say she is doing nothing? I recommended a Sch club as they can practically show her the tracking and obedience components and also you get to watch the older dogs do it. You can do foundation preywork, but starting a working pup at this age on basics of the work you want them to do later (like tracking, bitework etc) you can really help cement some good habits for down the track. Goes for all dogs but particularly working line as they're so fast to soak things up and want to learn.

Believe it or not I do have a wee idea about foundation work for sport and working dogs. I didnt realise I had to go through the Huski filter to give an opinion.

No need to get snitchy Nekhbet, I was responding to where you said LMSW should start early.

Perhaps you missed the part where she said she doesn't know what she wants to do with her pup yet? She mentioned maybe being interested in tracking, not bite work or Schutzhund obedience. You can't start a pup training in any sport until you decide which one you want to do. Either way she is getting good guidance in her training program now, so no need to sweat it.

Anyway no need to bring this thread OT with whatever personal issues you have with me, feel free to PM me and bitch that way, or start another thread. Sorry for taking your thread OT, SK :)

Edited by huski

lovemysideways go join a schutzhund club asap to get that pup started in tracking and obedience. Sch and ANKC obedience/agility are two different things so decide now what you want

LMSW is already learning the components to ANKC obedience and rally o and putting it into practice with her other dog - and she's not going to put a foot wrong with k9 pro's guidance :D

SK your new puppy is gorgeous! I believe that dogs come into our lives (sometimes at inopportune times!) for a reason. I'm sure you'll do great together!

LOL Ness, Kei only has eye's for your Midget ;)

Looks like he's doing well LMS. Where is he from?

Elka is my little Schutzhund prospect. My aim is for her is Sch III (BIG dreams lol) but might just start with BH and CCD :p

Not sure how productive summer will be though. It's 36 degrees here and both dogs are zonked out on the tiles!

Hes from Beychief. She breeds for police and correctional services :)

I don't know of any Shutzhund club here in Sydney, feel free to advise me otherwise! I would really appreciate any info :) DVDs or books you recommend! PM me if you have the time. It would be a great environment for him to be around even if I didn't want to do it.

And as far as what I'm doing with him. Obedience is the only thing I am sure of at the moment, everything else is just possibilities :) Well I think the foundations for all of the activities around are basically the same. So if I work on foundations for everything I can't go wrong can I :D? Plus as Shell and Huski mentioned I am running through a training program with K9 Pro so as long as I follow his guidance I Know I can't go wrong :)!

(Though I learned today that leaving him in the yard with a basket of wet laundry while I went to grab some more pegs from inside was a mistake :p Apparently zoomies with a wet shirt in your mouth are highly enjoyable.)

Sorry to hijack as well SK! We should have our own thread for the working line crazies :p

• 2 weeks later...

How is your Mal going?

Growing like a weed :laugh: . She's constantly amazing me with her confidence and energy (oh the energy!!).

We've started with some basic tracking and obedience work, all coming along slowly.:)

....and I have 'blender hands' big time :eek::rofl: