Beet Pulp In Dry Dog Food

Baileys mum

Ok well here you go. Just did a ref search and found this:

http://jn.nutrition..../4/678.full.pdf

Seems the bitches main time for needing carbs is just prior to and just after whelping. Which is when as I mentioned earlier they have a preference for eating liver and will eat the placenta - both higher in glycogen stores..... :thumbsup:

Also went back and read NRD to refresh my memory and itdoes specifically discuss the above study in relation to carb needs: NRD on Carbs

To get back to the original topic of beet pulp and fibre, If you scroll down a bit in the above link to the NRD you will see info on fibre. Specifically it states that:

"Fibre is not generally considered essential for simple-stomached mammals, including dogs, though inclusion of some fibre in the diet may be beneficial. Energy density of the diet is reduced by fibre, and therefore inclusion of some fibre in the diet may contribute to the maintenance of ideal body weight in adult sedentary dogs fed ad libitum......it should be recognised that the inclusion of large amounts of fibre in the diet may adversely affect nutrient availability." I would also note references to fibre slowing down transit of the GI tract - not always a good thing as it can increase opportunity for bad bacteria to have an effect on the system rather than allowing the body to quickly expel any bacterial overload. I would not necessarily feed a high fibre food to a dog with a depressed immune system or one with a history of 'gut sensitivity' for this reason.

Edited by espinay2

Thanks Espinay, you are obviously less lazy than I am! :thumbsup:

According to the USDA nutrient database, liver is approx 2 or 3g/100g carbohydrate as fed. Weirdly enough, they did not have placenta listed. :laugh:

Interesting that the study only had two extremes of carbohydrate included (none, or 44% of calories - a huge amount). Would be fascinating if they repeated it with a 3rd group eating the amount of carbs from calories you would expect a wild canid to get, so we could see if this was a sufficient amount to replicate the positive results from the high carbohydrate group.

• 2 weeks later...

artemis dog food is the only super premium dry dog food in australia that doesn't contain corn, wheat, soy and beet pulp!

Black Hawk does not contain these ingredients either, so Artemis is not the only one....

Um, no.

Canidae doesn't.

Earthborn Holistic doesn't.

Fairly sure some of the Natura brands don't.

Plus the odd variety here and there of some mainstream brands.

Sags

:)

artemis dog food is the only super premium dry dog food in australia that doesn't contain corn, wheat, soy and beet pulp!