Do Dogs Have A Concept Of Time?

Guest donatella

I've never owned a dog that didn't know 'dinnertime' and most are pretty cluey on 'time to get up' when you live by a regular schedule. They have a diurnal clock.

I don't think the sense of time extends to understanding weeks or years. Eg, when you leave a dog in a kennel, I don't think they count the days you've been gone, and I think a two day separation is pretty much as traumatic as a two month separation for most dogs. Of course, if they like the kennel you take them, it's you feeling the separation anxiety, not them.

Guest donatella

Thanks for everyone's feedback. What i'm getting from this is that dogs know time mainly from routines :thumbsup: My pup hasn't got much a routine yet as i'm a shift worker so my work hours are all over the shop, but she has worked out the sound of our garage door (we live in apartments of 6 and ours is the only one that needs a good oil :laugh: ). She can tell when my flatmate gets home before she's even at the door by the garage. I just wondered if she knew 9 hours being left alone when we were both at work on an early shift was a long time (as when i'm working lates or nights she's always got someone here). We're moving property soon and i'll get her another pom friend I think :thumbsup: