Dogs And Small Fluffies

Poppy's mum

I am considering adopting a dog (greyhound). It needs to be completely reliable around my small fluffies.

Should I be concerned if it's a dog that likes chewing/playing with fluffy toys? Does this mean it has a high prey drive?

The weight of opinion seems to say it's not necessarily a factor making it unreliable.

Edited by Ginger's mum

I'd agree that it's not necessarily a factor - as long as the grey can recognise that the small fluffies are dogs, not .. "other fluffies".. you shouldn't have a problem. Are you considering adopting through a greyhound rescue? They should be able to give you more advice around the particular dog, and small dog testing. If you have any reservations though, I'd make contact with a greyhound rescue that is well versed in greys and their behaviour. They will be able to find you a small dog safe one, no problem.

My Greyhound loves to 'kill' fluffy toys but happily lives with my 7 cats, plus foster cats and kittens, foster dogs (including small fluffies), etc. She will chase the cats in play sometimes, but she has never hurt them.

I agree with the previous poster and would advise you to adopt from a reputable rescue group who temperament tests their dogs. You should also be able to meet the dog with your dogs and see how it responds.