What Type Of Tinned Tuna

I've been giving my guys a tin of tuna (or sardines) once a week and I was wondering which is the best sort to give them. I've been buying the sardines and tuna in spring water because I'm not sure if the ones in oil are good for the dogs or not.

I'm of the understanding that the oils are what helps dogs' coats but is it the oil in the fish or in the oil that's added to the fish?

Also, are there any brands that are better than others? I don't eat fish myself so completely have no idea. :o I currently buy the Woolworths brand as it's cheaper but it's all fish to me. :confused:

It's the oil IN the fish that's important.

I use tinned salmon, sardines & mackeral and usually buy budget brand. I don't bother with tuna as these other fishies are much 'oilier'.

Yep I like the Home Brand Mackerel in oil from Woolies too, it's in a big tin (for fish) don't really feed them tuna or sardines, they don't really like sardines (weird I know) and tuna isn't really oily enough IMO, I have lean active dogs though so weight is not an issue.

Edited by amypie

I get the brunswick sardines in olive oil for my dog - although sometimes I eat them.

I like olive oil - it's really good for everyone including dogs.

I like sardines over tuna - they grow faster, are more sustainable and I trust Canadian health standards more than Thailand and places like that. The current availability of tinned tuna - is either crappy tasting tuna from Asia eg skipjack and who knows what ocean pollutants, or unsustainably managed blue fin from our southern oceans - that's the best stuff but we're over harvesting and it doesn't end up in tins anyway. Bring on the tuna hatcheries.

None of my guys have ever liked raw fish. I did get Jazz to eat them once but then she threw them up in the middle of my bed so I never tried again!!

I use home brand sardines in either tomato sauce or oil or tuna in oil. They love any of them.

Yep its one of the few things I go to Woolies for - their Homebrand tuna in springwater for the cat and the sardines in springwater and the mackeral in oil for the westies. Have never had any bother with any of it.

Woolies are definitely the best and cheapest for canned fish :thumbsup: (I shop at Foodland for everything else) :)