Incident With Dog And Bike Rider

ravenau1

Just wanting some opinions on this scenario.

Hypothetical dog and hypothetical owner out for a walk, stop near an oval to watch some goings on, all nice and relaxed. Drunk man on bike speeds around the corner, clipping owner causing her to fall and also causing himself to come off his bike, smashing a glass bottle full of booze everywhere (man on bike is well known for riding around suburb completely drunk and loud and obnoxious). Dog is very distressed and snaps at drunk man now sprawled on ground next to owner, also sprawled on ground and somewhat tangled in dogs lead. Drunk man says that he is going to report "vicious" dog for trying to bite him and goes on his merry way.

Owner was not on a path or thoroughfare of any kind but standing next to a building.

How worried should the owner be?

Hypothetically, if it was a less than favourable breed int he publics eyes, then I would be a little concerned. In fact I would report it myself in order to get in first and demonstrate that I was not at fault. I wouldn't be too complacent just because the guy was drunk.

How worried should the owner be?

Does the hypothetical complainant know the hypothetical dog owner's name and address? If he doesn't, a complaint to the hypothetical council won't get past the front desk... and the hypothetical police will laugh him out the door.

If he can hypothetically identify the owner, he's still likely to get laughed at: an allegation of 'trying to bite' isn't something the authorities would waste their time on.

A not so hypothetical drunk bicycle rider was recently arrested and charged and subsequently had their DNA taken and ran through the Police Not Hypothetical database.

This lead to a very real charge of murder in regards to a young man that was murdered about 20 years ago. :thumbsup:

I'd be reporting the hypothetical bum to the Police.

The problem as I see it is that the hypothetical dog was aggressive towards a person. (FTR - I think this was completely justified from the hypothetical situation you have described.) The reason might just be irrelevant if ever push hypothetically came to shove. ('I have not idea what you are talking about - the dog jumped out at me while I was riding past it. I fell off my bike and it raced over and was about to attack me.')

Also without any evidence to the contrary the hypothetical person in your example is only surmising that the guy was drunk and the police only have the word of that hypothetical person to suggest otherwise. ('What are you talking about, I had water in the bottle - my doctor told me that I'm better off with water from glass because of the way some plastics contaminate water.')

While I would be outraged if I was placed in the situation you have described as hypothetical you probably need to think carefully about whether the person hypothetically involved wants to bring attention to a he said/she said debate when there is no proof that either party is right or wrong.

Would be a bit hard for the person on the bike to claim the dog lashed out it him if the handler of the dog as any form of injury to backup that the rider it the handler. Scrap-cuts-bruising etc.

WHat the drunk on the bike has done is a hit and run. SAme as in a motor vehicle if an accident has occured and any injuries sustained then details must be exchanged and it must be reported. Now if the drunk on the bike did not provide details then they have committed a hit and run. (Actually its called leaving the scene of an accident)

A person in charge of any form of vehicle is subject to the same ruling of blood alcohol. Thats regardless of a car, motorcycle, bicycle, scooter, or even a horse and cart.

Furthermore unless the person holding the dog was standing on a roadway then its quite possible the bike rider may have also been riding on an illegal thoroughfare. Also was the rider wearing a helmet. Its quite likely that they will be in breach of more laws than they may be aware of.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. If the idiot was to report it I would insist on it being properly investigated by the police as the rider may well find himself in quite a lot of trouble.

Reality is that by the time they sobered up they probably wouldn't remember anything anyway. Chances are if the rider is known to others in the area to ride around drunk etc. then chances are police probably already know about them too.

As for dog snapping that should be seen as a provoked attack. Now not sure about laws in your state but here if a dog is provoked into attacking that does not mean the dog is declared dangerous. If the dog had just attacked as he was riding sensibly by that would be another matter. However the dog in this instance is reacting to what it sees as an attack and as such is defending itself and its pack leader (you)

Both dog and handler have minor injuries from being hit by the bike, bruising and grazing etc, though I didn't realise the dog was hurt at the time.

The local police said that there is nothing to worry about, that it's not unreasonable to expect that a dog in this situation would react in such a manner, especially if she was hurt. They did know exactly who the bike rider was as he is notorious for riding around drunk and making trouble, which does beg the question of why is he still drunk and riding around, he's seen pretty regularly around here!

Thanks again everyone! :thumbsup: There is so much 'dangerous dog' hysteria around at the moment that I was pretty worried. Nice to know there's at least some common sense!