Good Zoom For Canon 500d

sheena

What is a good zoom lens for a Canon SLR500D, which is not too big & is value for money. Is the lens called Nifty Fifty a zoom. I want it for taking moving pictures mainly of dogs (of course) :)

Edited by sheena

So is the Nifty 50 more for doing fancy closeups?? I have what I think they call "a converter" DHD 2x Telephoto Lens, which came with the camera & is a generic brand. I was told that it is meant to go between the camera & the existing camera lens, but the only place it wants to go is on the front of the lens. It doesn't bring the subject that much closer & when I zoom out I am left with a photo of the inside of the lens....I end up with a round photo :D

So is the Nifty 50 more for doing fancy closeups?? I have what I think they call "a converter" DHD 2x Telephoto Lens, which came with the camera & is a generic brand. I was told that it is meant to go between the camera & the existing camera lens, but the only place it wants to go is on the front of the lens. It doesn't bring the subject that much closer & when I zoom out I am left with a photo of the inside of the lens....I end up with a round photo :D

No, you might be thinking of a macro lens there. The 50mm is a good general lens but it wont make things that are a long way off look close. you look through the view finder and what you see is what you get. If something doesn't fill the frame the way you want it to, then you must change your positon by moving in closer or backing off, you cannot turn a ring to change the view, it's fixed. You can use it to take portraits and even some action shots, there's a thread here that shows alot of different styles taken with it.

you can get the "nifty fifty" so named cause it's very cheap, for a good price right now http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=63

A zoom that might suit you if you're on a budget is probably the 55-250mm

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=1903

or maybe the 75-300mm but they aren't the best quality, although you can get reasonable shots from them.

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=2649

You need to read up a bit on lenses to get a basic understanding, ask lots of questions and think about the sort of photos you want to take. It's an expensive hobby and you dont want to buy the wrong lenses for your needs.

I'm thinking you've fitted the converter incorrectly.

Edited by Kirislin

Thanks for that....I am very new to this as you can see. I just did some googling on the converter & it seems there is a major part missing. I bought the camera brand new off Ebay & it was supposed to come with two extra professional lenses. I didn't realise they were only generic converters till I did a short course with the local camera shop. Looks like I have been "had"...another case of "poor man pays twice" :( So it's off to my friendly guy at the camera shop tomorrow ;) No more Ebay for me for buying things like cameras.

Edited by sheena

hmmm, I'm wondering, you said the converter wants to go on the front of your lens? It might be the sort that allows you to turn the lens around and fit it backwards onto your camera to create a macro effect. Best play it safe though and get an expert to look at it, dont try attaching it your self in case that isn't what it does, dont want to damage your camera.

Can you give negative feedback on ebay or even get a refund if it's not what they said it was.

What lenses have you got now?

Edited by Kirislin

I bought it about last January, so I think it will be probably too late to leave feedback :( I let it go till now thinking that one day I will get someone to show me how to use it. The only lens I have is the Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55 & the two converters 2 x zoom & a wide angle one.

ETA I have just found him on Ebay...he is still selling the same deals.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canon-550D-Kiss-X4-T2i-Digital-SLR-Camera-3-Lenses-Kit-/120727599067?pt=AU_Digital_Cameras&hash=item1c1becf7db

Edited by sheena