Breeders And Your Contracts

rastus_froggy

When someone approaches you to buy one of your pups at what point do you give them the contract - presuming it is being sold on a contract - to read? Is it before you approve them as a buyer? Once you have selected the pup you have decided is the one for them? or at some other point?

as a buyer, i would want to know before making the effort to see the pups that there is a contract and the basics of that contract. I'd need to know if a breeder was going to put stipulations on me as the owner of the pup. why have them get interested in the pup only to not agree with something in the contract.

I'm assuming contracts are for main registered pups, do people do contracts for limited register pups?

as a buyer, i would want to know before making the effort to see the pups that there is a contract and the basics of that contract. I'd need to know if a breeder was going to put stipulations on me as the owner of the pup. why have them get interested in the pup only to not agree with something in the contract.

I'm assuming contracts are for main registered pups, do people do contracts for limited register pups?

Your contract also covers health etc, so it's not simply a contract for mains puppies

From my point of view - contracts are for any puppy whether on limited or main and stipulate the terms for the specific puppy in the individual contract (health, intentions regarding the pup, what will happen if things go wrong and/or pup needs a new home, whether it is on limit or main and what that means etc). Contracts are there to protect the new owner as well as the breeder as they make the conditions and rights and responsibilties of both parties clear.

When it comes to giving a contract - at the time an individual puppy is identified as being available and possibly suitable for that home and before any money changes hands. That is when specifics of the contract rather than generalities would be discussed in relation to that individual puppy (I.e. a copy of the actual contract produced for discussion and agreement).

Note that a lot of the generalities included in the contract would have been discussed beforehand anyway so there would not really be any major surprises as such.

FWIW :shrug:

I have one contract for main and limited puppies, just have to cross out and initial the section that is not applicable. I have a variations page for those on breeders terms.

Once I am satisfied that the people will give my puppies a fantastic forever home then I give them the contract to look over. if they are happy with the contract we go from there.