Getting A Dog And Stuck On Breeds, Advice Appreciated

Ozone

If you like Retrievers i think a Golden retriever or Curly coated retriever.

A young golden retriever with only 30mins of exercise a day may get very destructive. They are an active breed who need exercise and stimulation. Curlies are quieter than goldens but also need a decent amount of exercise. Depends if the OP wants a pup or is open to a young adult dog. An adult of either breed may be a good match.

ETA Its italian greyhounds that are fragile and suffer leg breaks, the toy sized ones.

Edited by indigirl

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you Clyde for your input but the OP has also made it clear she will be heavily involved with the dog.....and if something should happen to her folks I would imagine she will end up with the dog.....and again I say as a breeder I wouldn't sell her a guarding breed

I think you've misunderstood.

The OP is not interested in traditional guarding breeds as yes, she will more than likely be the main caregiver of the dog - her mother is the person interested in GSD's however I repeat the OP is not interested in GSD's so you wouldn't have to worry about whether you would sell her one or not. :)

Just checking in again on the forum, I had no idea it would have this many replies :o

Greyhounds, Aussies are definately what I will be looking for at the SACA dogs show. I will look at other breeds too. Thanks again for all the advice.

I want to make clear that animals are always a family matter and of upmost importance in any situation we find ourselves in. We have turned down rentals because they wouldn't allow our cat, if we have to go away suddenly we have very good neighbours who take them on short notice, not permanently obviously. We know what we are getting into, and the hard work is pretty much WHY we want a dog. I'm not saying we are perfect owners by any means, but we are not the sort of people who would send it to a shelter if it destroyed the garden or if some kind of tragic accident happened and circumstances changed.

Thank you again everyone :)

Good on you for putting so much thought into what breed of dog you want and what might be suitable to fit in with you.

Another vote for whippies - fabulous dogs - but I'm sure that when you finally decide on breed you'll make a great choice.

The OP is not interested in traditional guarding breeds as yes, she will more than likely be the main caregiver of the dog - her mother is the person interested in GSD's however I repeat the OP is not interested in GSD's so you wouldn't have to worry about whether you would sell her one or not. :)

and I think you misunderstood - I don't breed GSDs.......

and I think you misunderstood - I don't breed GSDs.......

Seriously i think its time to move on,everyone else had no issues understanding what the OP wants/doesn't want yet you keep going on & on