Is There A Simpler Way To Vaccinations / Worms / Fleas Etc Etc?

GrumpySmurf

OK, I'm still trying to get over my confusion. Kahlua was born on th 12th May 2011, so he is 17.7 weeks (4.1 months) old. He is currently 10.6kg and is a Lab X Poodle.

Vaccination: Done by vet on 03/08/2011, next one is due 03/08/2012 - easy enough

Worming: On ParaGard. Last one was 03/08/2011, so now should be every 3 months right? Should this be given perpetually for life every 3 months?

I worm my dogs 2 or 3 times a year, no hard and fast rules here

Fleas: On Comfortis. Last was 25/08/2011. So next one should be 20/09/2011. Should this be given perpetually for life every month?

I only treat for fleas if there is a problem, one flea on a dog is not a problem for me. Unless they had a flea allergy. Shouldn't be any need to treat over winter.

Heart Worming: On NuHeart. Last one was 20/07/2011. I had forgotten about this and had not given him. Is this a problem?! Should I just give him a tablet now?

Yes you could give one now, you have up until the pup is 6 months to start preventive without a blood test. IMO this is much more important then the other stuff.

How could I somehow try and move the heartworm and fleas dates to fall on the 3rd of every month? Is that even a good idea as sometimes I will then have to give hime worming, heartworm and fleas tablet all on 1 day?!

I don't agree with giving everything in one tablet or on the same day.

Guest Black Obsession

Fleas - Advantage, and only once or twice in the summer months.

Worming - twice a year, and I rotate between brands to keep the parasites on their toes.

Heartworm - Proheart injection once a year. I'm thinking of stopping this 'cause my vet said I don't live in a problem area.

Vaccinations - C3 every three years or C5 for when I go to obedience classes.

I'm thinking of stopping Vaccinations after 15 months. I don't like the idea of using too many chemicals. And my vet supports me in this. I also have a very experienced Naturopath who is great with animals.

I type everything up in a file on my computer, as well as using a wall calendar.

You need to answer this

Do you have fleas in your yard ?, if not don't use a flea prevention unless you see one

Do you live in a heartworm area ? if not then don't use that either

Worm with each change of season, unless you want to do a test for worms before worming

Make sure you vaccinate somewhere around 15 months and then you can choose to have a c3 vacc every three years or never again and get a KC vacc if you plan on boarding.

ETA save yourself a whole lot of money and prevent your dog from having unnecessary chemicals pumped through it's body

Edited by ReadySetGo

These threads always make me question myself. :o:laugh:

People that worm 2 - 3 times a year, do you use the monthly wormers for this? And how do you know when to do it?

Heartworm - what's the best source of info on heartworm areas?

Vacc - I haven't done Moose since his 12 month booster (he's nearly 3) and Zoe hasn't been done since she was about 5 (she's 12 now). If you go with C3 triennially is it exactly the same injection as the annual? I'm going to titre test but just curious.

Do you have fleas in your yard ?, if not don't use a flea prevention unless you see one

Do you live in a heartworm area ? if not then don't use that either

Worm with each change of season, unless you want to do a test for worms before worming

Make sure you vaccinate somewhere around 15 months and then you can choose to have a c3 vacc every three years or never again and get a KC vacc if you plan on boarding.

ETA save yourself a whole lot of money and prevent your dog from having unnecessary chemicals pumped through it's body

:thumbsup: (my bold)

Guest Black Obsession

These threads always make me question myself. :o:laugh:

People that worm 2 - 3 times a year, do you use the monthly wormers for this? And how do you know when to do it?

Heartworm - what's the best source of info on heartworm areas?

Vacc - I haven't done Moose since his 12 month booster (he's nearly 3) and Zoe hasn't been done since she was about 5 (she's 12 now). If you go with C3 triennially is it exactly the same injection as the annual? I'm going to titre test but just curious.

I buy the 3 monthly wormers, which I use every 6 months. I don't have any special way of knowing when to do it - every 3 months just seems extreme to me...and I don't like the idea of putting unecessary chemicals into my dogs' bodies.

I spoke to all the vets in my area about Heartworm. You could also talk to the main vet at the Department of Primary Industries.

The 3 year injection is different to the annual injection (I don't think vets are giving the annual injection anymore). It's called Nobivac.

Edited by Black Obsession