Vomiting In Pregnant Staffy

Izzy08

Was hoping someone could give me some advice. Have already called a vet earlier, who didn't seem too concerned but just want to get some of your opinions. My staffy is 65 days pregnant (from first mating) and has started to show signs of whelping. She has been vomiting white foam on and off For a few hours now. She still appears happy and not distressed and is panting and nesting constantly. Is it normal for dogs to vomit during whelping? (She is still drinking water regularly).

Thanks

I'd take the water away. Peristalsis will mean whatever she swallows hits the bottom and comes back up. She will dehydrate if she keeps vomiting.

I'd take the water away. Peristalsis will mean whatever she swallows hits the bottom and comes back up. She will dehydrate if she keeps vomiting.

Ok, thanks. I will take the water away and see how we go. She is cleaning up after herself each time too. Should I try to stop her from doing so?

Yes. She may be vomiting from the pain of contractions but whatever goes down will just come back up so nothing in will ensure nothing out. If it was a normal dog I'd remove water for 12 hours but I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do with a dog in whelp. Maybe you could ask your mentor.

Yes. She may be vomiting from the pain of contractions but whatever goes down will just come back up so nothing in will ensure nothing out. If it was a normal dog I'd remove water for 12 hours but I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do with a dog in whelp. Maybe you could ask your mentor.

Thank you so much for your help. Removed water and she ended up havin first one at 8:41pm. Have placed her water back down for her invade she needs it and both mum and pup are soon fine!

Yes mentor is available by phone but couldn't reach at the time so was feeling a little unsure. As soon as first pup arrived the vomiting stopped and she has just delivered no: 5 :) thank you very much for your help!

Yes mentor is available by phone but couldn't reach at the time so was feeling a little unsure. As soon as first pup arrived the vomiting stopped and she has just delivered no: 5 :) thank you very much for your help!

Am I reading this right? She has had number 5, 27 hours after the first one? I hope she is finished. That is an extremely slow whelping for just 5 puppies.