Hip Dysplasia In Labrador Puppy

luclen

Thanks for the replies everyone, and particularly for your thoughts.

I was too scared to ask the breeder what they were going to do with my puppy. However, on pickup (my kids and I left the house as I couldn't bear the thought of having watch him being taken away.....instead I cried my eyes out in the car whilst driving to no where), my husband asked what they were going to do with him. The reply "we'll do what needs to be done"......

Now I have interpreted that both ways.............however, he is still microchipped too me as I haven't signed a transfer of ownership form. I'm hoping she will ring or email me in regards to this.....at least it's a positive sign. But, honestly not knowing is proberly easier too deal with.

Many thanks everyone for your thoughts

I suggest you do that without being chased for it...

The quote below is taken from the NSW Companion Animals Register Change of Owner/Details form:

It is the responsibility of the old owner the person selling or giving

away the animal to notify the change. Failure to do so may result in

a fi ne of up to $880 or up to $5500 for a dangerous or restricted dog.

Edited by Aziah

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Aziah. I didn't know I had too.

Will chase that up ASAP. Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and particularly for your thoughts.

I was too scared to ask the breeder what they were going to do with my puppy. However, on pickup (my kids and I left the house as I couldn't bear the thought of having watch him being taken away.....instead I cried my eyes out in the car whilst driving to no where), my husband asked what they were going to do with him. The reply "we'll do what needs to be done"......

Now I have interpreted that both ways.............however, he is still microchipped too me as I haven't signed a transfer of ownership form. I'm hoping she will ring or email me in regards to this.....at least it's a positive sign. But, honestly not knowing is proberly easier too deal with.

Many thanks everyone for your thoughts

I suggest you do that without being chased for it...

The quote below is taken from the NSW Companion Animals Register Change of Owner/Details form:

It is the responsibility of the ‘old’ owner – the person selling or giving

away the animal – to notify the change. Failure to do so may result in

a fi ne of up to $880 or up to $5500 for a dangerous or restricted dog.

Also, listen to quality Lab breeders, like Zenchel, and ignore Poodlefan, who seems to knock Labradors in a high fraction of her posts. Not walking on lead until six months is poor advice. Of course, you need to do things in moderation . . . no different with a Lab than any other breed. Labs do have a propensity to eat too much . . . and moderation in feeding is especially important.

Seriously Sandgrubber, get a grip. It's flattering to have a stalker but I do not spend my time here waiting for opportunities to take cheap shots at your breed of choice. The OP is batting two for two on HD affected Labs.. quoting stats isn't going to help them avoid heartbreak for a third time- that was what motivated my post. How about you take time out from proving your theory that I hate Labs and focus on helping them.

The "no onlead exercise until 6 months" is a common precaution taken by folk with many breeds, and with larger breeds in particular. If you're going to stalk me with accusations, you might at least do a thorough job and note that I've made that recommendation many times, about many breeds and that many folk here agree with it.

Edited by poodlefan

I disagree with no onlead walking, if the dog does not get any gentle exercise like walking they will have heaps more energy which leads to crazy zoomies and jumping around which is worse imo

yeah, i'm fine with on lead walking too; we'll be doing it on grass as soon as vaccs are complete. We'll be walking in grassed areas and to the beach on occasions.

I disagree with no onlead walking, if the dog does not get any gentle exercise like walking they will have heaps more energy which leads to crazy zoomies and jumping around which is worse imo

Off lead exercise like play is fine. No exercise works on a growing pup like appropriate offlead playing. You can play with your dog and you can let him romp around and practice your recall. Leash training for a few minutes is fine. Just don't pavement pound for half an hour or more everyday and bear in mind that exercise on sand stresses joints even more than solid ground. The beach is not a softer option. Being pounded by larger dogs in the dog park isn't either.

A lot of puppy energy can be dissapated with training. 5 minutes of brain work is worth a lot of pavement pounding.

Your dogs, your choice. I know a lot of folk that practice the "no on lead exercise before 6 months" guideline. I know a few that haven't and can think of at least 3 OCD issues resulting. One dog was gaiting off a bike aged 5 months :eek:

If you want a veterinary back up, talk to Dr Billinghurst or Dr Zink. Growning joints don't cope well with unnatural stresses. Long periods of leash exercise are "unnatural".

They'll also tell you that the fast track to joint issues is a fat puppy. Keep them lean folks.. enough to be a wee bit ribby.

Edited by poodlefan

Yup i wouldnt leash walk for ages on pavement at all a half hr for a pup is excessive and running yoyr dog next to a bike at 5 months is just stupid

You know it, I know it.. but it's not apparent to some folk and that pup had a lot of energy.. :(

Given that you have a retriever and an interest in obedience Mason, you could have the basics of a retrieve trained by 6 months. :)

Edited by poodlefan

I wasn't able to wear my puppy out with free play (small yard) or training... she just went and went and went like an energiser bunny. I did roughly 5 minutes of structured exercise per month of age. On leash walks helped with her energy levels a lot. To this day, on leash walks tire her out more than off leash exercise...

I wasn't able to wear my puppy out with free play (small yard) or training... she just went and went and went like an energiser bunny. I did roughly 5 minutes of structured exercise per month of age. On leash walks helped with her energy levels a lot. To this day, on leash walks tire her out more than off leash exercise...

Wuffles, I took mine to the dog club and walked the paddock... puppy could do as much or as little as it pleased.

Wuffles, I took mine to the dog club and walked the paddock... puppy could do as much or as little as it pleased.

I did do dog club and also the local oval as well :) Often our walks were - 5 minutes walk to oval - 10 minutes play/training - then 5 minutes home again. Or 5 minutes to local shops - sit for 10 minutes watching people - 5 minutes home. I guess it remains to be seen how her joints will go, she's nearly 2 years old now.

Edit: And she's still an energiser bunny

Edited by wuffles

I did do dog club and also the local oval as well :) Often our walks were - 5 minutes walk to oval - 10 minutes play/training - then 5 minutes home again. Or 5 minutes to local shops - sit for 10 minutes watching people - 5 minutes home. I guess it remains to be seen how her joints will go, she's nearly 2 years old now.

Well, you will own working breeds!! :laugh:

Well, you will own working breeds!! :laugh:

I know, but it still surprised us as to how full of beans a working breed puppy could be :laugh: Everyone was telling us that after 5 minutes of training she'd sleep for a few hours... more like train for a few hours then sleep for 5 minutes :rofl:

Poodlefan I must have just gotten lucky as with my first boy we had 3 stairs in our house that he had to go up and down ( he was too big for me to lift everytime when he was 16 weeks). I was a bit careful with his weight but he has had absolutely no hip/joint problems and he does sometimes play rough with my friends lab, he did this from 16 weeks.

What is happening to the puppy, are they rehoming or what is the plan?

Me too Mason. We have 10 stairs but we put up a baby gate to restrict his access until I could no longer carry him up (hubby has a bad back & couldn't) then we would walk up & down just a couple times a day slowly.

Same for our 2nd boy and I am still carrying him at 6 months.

We followed our wonderful breeders advice to the letter. No long boring walks until 12 months of age or 18 months is even better. Just backyard play. A good RAW diet that promotes slower growth, no stairs, no dry sand at beaches and no jumping in or out of our car were a few of her instructions to minimise HD or ED.

Jangels is 20 mths & so far no problems. As others have said, there are no guarantee's with any dog or breed you can only try to minimise the risks.

To the OP, so sorry to hear about your situation. So sad & hope you are coping ok

Off lead exercise like play is fine. No exercise works on a growing pup like appropriate offlead playing. You can play with your dog and you can let him romp around and practice your recall. Leash training for a few minutes is fine. Just don't pavement pound for half an hour or more everyday and bear in mind that exercise on sand stresses joints even more than solid ground. The beach is not a softer option. Being pounded by larger dogs in the dog park isn't either.

A lot of puppy energy can be dissapated with training. 5 minutes of brain work is worth a lot of pavement pounding.

Your dogs, your choice. I know a lot of folk that practice the "no on lead exercise before 6 months" guideline. I know a few that haven't and can think of at least 3 OCD issues resulting. One dog was gaiting off a bike aged 5 months :eek:

If you want a veterinary back up, talk to Dr Billinghurst or Dr Zink. Growning joints don't cope well with unnatural stresses. Long periods of leash exercise are "unnatural".

They'll also tell you that the fast track to joint issues is a fat puppy. Keep them lean folks.. enough to be a wee bit ribby.

I can also recommend the people from Dr Bruce Syme's Vets All Natural. The website has a free advisory service for dietary advice etc.

mason you dont have to feed the muesli mix. You can use the vets all natural skin and coat powder with the health booster powder in your raw food of choice. Thats how I used it and it worked excellenty. The Skin and Coat powder definately made a difference.