Harness Fit For Houdini

Bodie

Has anyone got any advice on how i can stop my Houdini from 'backing out' of his harness. It's really scary when he has a pee when we're walking along a main road, then he digs up dirt and bounces around like a clown and can sometimes come out of his harness. I've adjusted it as tight as is necessary, but i can't help but wonder if there is a better suited harness out there. He is a 3yr old Jack Russell and the one he wears at the moment is a 'H' harness.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Has anyone got any advice on how i can stop my Houdini from 'backing out' of his harness. It's really scary when he has a pee when we're walking along a main road, then he digs up dirt and bounces around like a clown and can sometimes come out of his harness. I've adjusted it as tight as is necessary, but i can't help but wonder if there is a better suited harness out there. He is a 3yr old Jack Russell and the one he wears at the moment is a 'H' harness.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any reason why he couldn't wear a martingale or limited slip collar?

Plus one for a martingale for walking.

If you also want a harness then look at the Ruff wear Web Master harness http://www.caninespirit.com.au/master_products/web-master-harness. My girl used to slip out of her harness in the car and since swapping onto this she has not managed to escape. It is also handy if you need to pick them up to keep them dry etc. It is often cheaper to get them in the US even with shipping.

Edited by ~Woofen~

There is a Ruffwear harness that has 3 straps that prevents backing out of it. I think it's called Webmaster or something along those lines. It has the normal two straps around the chest and behind the front legs, and also one further back over the belly. Apparently sighthound people love this harness because their dogs are so deep chested they will back out of anything else.

Thanks for that info, i only wish i could take my dogs in and try it all on them rather than ordering online and crossing my fingers it fits.

Hi Bodie - we stock the Web Master Harness and are based in South East Melbourne. If we can assist please don't hesitate to PM us or you can head to our website.

The Webmaster is a great harness - i don't think there are many dogs that could manoeuvre themselves out of it. Trying on is not a problem - if you live nearby or are happy to travel you are more than welcome to bring your dogs by and we can try it on. It is a big investment (dog wise) so it's important you are happy with your purchase.

We will also be attending a number of doggie events over the next few months - check out our events page for more information.

I'm a diehard Webmaster fan. Once you have a handle you wonder how you ever lived without it. ;) A couple of weeks ago we safely got our 26kg reluctant Lapphund over a rock ledge a little more than 2m high. I'm not sure how you do that without something like a Webmaster.

this is great, thanks to everyone who are giving their honest opinion and i hope they're suitable for my 'quite small' dogs (after seeing all your big dogs). If you tell me where to go, we'd love to try them on. I'm sick of getting stuck with things that just don't fit once they arrive.

I got a puppia harness (or two!) here on DOL for my stafford as she is a wriggler and very strong when she gets over-excited. Bseides choking herself and getting out of collars and a normal harness she has busted a leash handle and the steel clips off a double leash. But I have not even come close to a near escape with the puppia and she is very comfortable in it. I did buy a martingale but have not yet tried it as I seem to be able to control her better when she is in a harness (with the clip on her back rather than at her neck) if she starts being special.

Erik in my siggy wears an XS Webmaster and he is a small tank at 12kg. The harness fit him when he was about 6 months old and around 8kg. There is an XXS, I think.

Why is Erik so much smaller than Hugo!? :laugh: I bought Hugo that size because I thought "a male vallhund is a male vallhund" and he's 15.5 kilos and already grown out of it.. :laugh:

I told you, Dju, he's a very lean Vallhund! :laugh: He still makes most dogs his height look like a bunch of twigs, though.

*covers Hugo's ears* No baby, Corvus didn't call you fat! :rofl: I wonder if there's a way to lengthen the straps actually.. like unstitching and sewing on extra length. The harnesses are pricey, I certainly don't feel like he needs another one :eek: