Tethering

dianed

I am wondering what the law is in NSW regarding tethering of dogs. A tenant I have tethers his dogs 24/7. They are not farm working dogs, he does use them for pig hunting occasionally on my property. I,m just a bit concerned about the length of time they are contained as I dont believe in it.

I found this link on the RSPCA website...

http://www.rspcansw.org.au/services/rspca_knowledge_base?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZrYi5yc3BjYS5vcmcuYXUlMkZDYW4tZG9ncy1iZS1zYWZlbHktY29uZmluZWQtYnktdGV0aGVyaW5nXzQwNi5odG1sJmFsbD0x

I think it is more of a guideline. People are allowed to tie their dogs up so long as it has access to shelter, water and sufficient length to move around with. Personally I don't like tethering dogs, although I've had to do it recently with Bella (while I am gone) as she has been escaping our yard. I would never permanently put them on one though. But everyone is different and he may think its fine to leave the dog on there :shrug:

NSW consolidated Acts

PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS ACT (POCTA)As at 22 December 2010.

Tethering of animals

10 Tethering of animals

(1) A person shall not:

(a) tether an animal, or

(b) where the person is a person in charge of an animal-authorise the tethering of the animal,

for an unreasonable length of time or by means of an unreasonably heavy, or unreasonably short, tether.

Maximum penalty: 250 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both, in the case of an individual.

(2) A person must not tether a sow in a piggery.

Maximum penalty: 250 penalty units in the case of a corporation or 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both, in the case of an individual.

(3) A person must not confine a bird by means of a tether.

Maximum penalty: 250 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both, in the case of an individual.

(4) It is a defence to a prosecution for an offence against subsection (3) if the defendant satisfies the court that the bird to which the offence relates was a raptor and that the tether involved was a jess that was used solely to tether the bird to its handler.