Stafford Pup With Sensitive Stomach

missmoo

Hello

We have a stafford pup with a sensitive tummy. She vomits bile in the afternoon if we forget to feed her before around 3pm which isnt always possible as we both work. We recently had her at the Vets as she was off her food on and off for the past week. Vets did full blood workup and xrays to make sure no infection or foreign body was present - her temp was 39.5c and her red blood cells were just above the normal range other than that vet didnt find anything. She is on a 5 day course of antibiotics just in case but she is still not "right". I am wondering if a change of diet to sensitive stomach formula or type foods would work.

Does anyome have any suggestions on what foods would be best.

Thanks

MM

Have there been any other symptoms apart from vomiting when hungry - because vomiting bile when a dog is hungry is actually not unusual and not something I would link exclusively or immediately to a sensitive stomach problem.

How old is the pup?

What is she being fed now?

What was she raised on (ie what was the breeder's recommendations on the diet sheet)?

If the last two questions have different answers :D how long ago did you change and did she have this problem before you changed?

Edited by Sandra777

Have there been any other symptoms apart from vomiting when hungry - because vomiting bile when a dog is hungry is actually not unusual and not something I would link exclusively or immediately to a sensitive stomach problem.

Agree :) My Kieran used to vomit every morning ... until I gave him a couple of bikkies as a snack last thing at night :)

An upset tummy and change of diet is usually not a good combination ... just give her more frequent small meals if you can ... and see how she settles after the AB's.If there is still a problem, then look at diet change .

She is 7 1/2 months....her breeder was feeding pups on pro plan puppy...we had her on this initially and gradually switched her to Supercoat puppy and a mixture of fresh chicken mince with apple and vegetables and Phuds by the age of 12weeks.

She is lethargic as well. Her symptoms present on and off. She rarely has diarrheoa.

She started showing these signs and vomiting about 2 months ago.

Edited by missmoo

She is lethargic as well. Her symptoms present on and off. She rarely has diarrheoa.

She started showing these signs and vomiting about 2 months ago.

Sounds like more than a 'sensitive' tummy .

perhaps get a second opinion if the AB's don't sort it ... Did the vet do faecal tests for parasites ?

If she were mine, I'd be taking her off the Supercoat, it's nothing but grains and fillers. Look for a dry that has meat as it's main ingredient.

Staffords typically don't do so well on vegetables, that other breeds/dogs do. Limit the amount of veg and use it every now and then. I'd take her off the Phuds, it's grains as well.

If she was doing well on the Proplan , with no stomach issues, then go back to that or slowly change onto another premium food. Swap your mince for chicken on the bone, such as wings, necks and carcass.

If you can get her stable on the basics of a premium dry and chicken on the bone, then you can introduce lamb flaps, roo tails, rabbits and turkey wings.

Edited by ReadySetGo

@peresphone

no faecal test but that would be my next thing if she does not improve..she did lose weight last week before we took her to the Vets..aprox.300 grams but has now put that back on.

@ReadySetGo

thanks for that..im not a fan of Pro Plan but will take another look at it. Any other suggestions for dry food that is mainly meat based?

@peresphone

no faecal test but that would be my next thing if she does not improve..she did lose weight last week before we took her to the Vets..aprox.300 grams but has now put that back on.

@ReadySetGo

thanks for that..im not a fan of Pro Plan but will take another look at it. Any other suggestions for dry food that is mainly meat based?

Why not Proplan ?

Other choices would be Artemis, Eagle Pack, Canidea, Black Hawk Holistic, Royal Canin ( ours do very well on it ), Advance

ETA there are a lot to choose from, depending on your location

Edited by ReadySetGo

Ive had a dog on Pro Plan before and his coat was dull so we switched to another brand (i think it was Eagle Pack) and his coat condition improved but as i saod i will take another look.

Thanks

The reason I suggested the Proplan, is that if she previously had no issues on it, then it might be a good choice to stabilise her on , before moving onto something else.

Ive had a dog on Pro Plan before and his coat was dull so we switched to another brand (i think it was Eagle Pack) and his coat condition improved but as i saod i will take another look.

Thanks

The reason I suggested the Proplan, is that if she previously had no issues on it, then it might be a good choice to stabilise her on , before moving onto something else.

will buy a small bag and see how she goes...my husband is a Butcher and will get her some chicken necks etc as well. She has had these before without an issue.

thanks again