Filters

Cat

This is going to be a dumb question I'm sure, but you put filters on outside of the lens don't you? I got a 50-200mm lens but they gave me a 55mm filter, but I can't seem to actually fit it anywheres. Just wanted to make sure i am not doing something wrong or they just gave me something I can't use

This is going to be a dumb question I'm sure, but you put filters on outside of the lens don't you? I got a 50-200mm lens but they gave me a 55mm filter, but I can't seem to actually fit it anywheres. Just wanted to make sure i am not doing something wrong or they just gave me something I can't use

No dumb questions, just dumb manufacturers who set out to confuse. Yes the filter goes on the outside.

The filter size required is often found on the bottom of the lens where it attaches to the camera - turn your camera upside down and see if it is written there. It will just be one number, could be 50, 52, 55, 60 - and bears no relation to the 50-200mm or whatever the focal length of the lens is. No wonder people get confused. So - if it does say 55, then maybe they gave you the correct size filter. But maybe the incorrect thread fitting, though this would be unusual - in general most filters will screw into the front of most lenses.

Check that number, if it does not say 55, take the filter back and make them change it for one that fits. Meantime put more details here about the lens and someone might have the same lens and know the answer.

Yes it does, so what turkey sold you a 55 - not fair when you were in the "what else do I need" stage. Fair enough if you'd walked in and asked for the wrong size, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd be annoyed if a new car dealership sold me the wrong size fan-belt.