Do Any Breeds Fit These Criteria?

Cosmolo

Yes; I also like Chesapeakes,Nothing anxious or wimpy about them,They are tough robust and adaptable.Resently saw a video of one and a labrador training as rescue dogs,learning to jump out of a helicopter into icy water.

Having owned a Chesapeake and having to return him to the breeder because I was not prepared for their temperament I would say they have 'edge' but did not want to harp on. They are really closer to an ACD in temprament then any other breed, only instead of herding they retrieve (although in the US a few people use them for cattle herding). There are several titled to the higher levels of Sch.

Definately not the right dog for someone expecting a gundog temp. ;)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps as other said, dobe, rottie, boxer (although these seem more fruitloop then working dog!)

Giant Schnauzer with a hard coat has a very low maintainance coat - brush beard every couple of weeks! Take to groomer every few months for stripping and tidying BUT I find most don't tolerate working in heat.

Rhodesian Ridgeback immediately sprang to mind for me too. It does seem to tick all your boxes. I wouldn't discount it out of hand just yet. Definintely contact Helen to talk about them. She will tell you straight if they are really not what you are after, though I think you will find they may be.

GSD's have too much coat and i don't love their general temperaments.

It has to be ANKC registered because i will not go near any bull type dog without papers once the new laws are in. Otherwise to be honest i would be sticking with my bull arab types from rescue.

Are any of the mastiffs light enough to be considered active?

Edited by Cosmolo

GSD's have too much coat and i don't love their general temperaments.

It has to be ANKC registered because i will not go near any bull type dog without papers once the new laws are in. Otherwise to be honest i would be sticking with my bull arab types from rescue.

Are any of the mastiffs light enough to be considered active?

Not really. I have bullmastiffs and whilst most are more agile and compact than most other mastiff breeds, and can get up to great speeds in short bursts, I wouldnt say they are active. Nor do they do too well in the heat. Size and agility can vary too within my breed. I think there are too many that are too heavy and cumbersome and wouldnt be able to do the job they were bred for and some are more athletic and agile, however they are not a breed that can run and run and run. Generally bitches weigh between 40 and 50 kg, my girls are about 45ish and the boys should weigh between 50-60 but many get up to 65, 70 and 75. My young boy is currently 50 but he is only young and I would imagine by the time he fully matures he will be about 55, his father on the other hand was 78!

Based on what you have said, the only ones I can really think of that come close to your criteria may be:

Great Dane

Rhodesian Ridgeback

Rottie

Dobe

Boxer

Cane Corso perhaps

That may now be a good selection to go investigate further though?

Go have a look at the breeds listed on DOL. That is pretty much it for registered breeds available in Australia.

Edited by espinay2