Staffords Being Made A Restricted Breed In Vic?

parrotpea

I have no idea but this came up a couple of days ago in the News section, although looks like it was thought to be a reporting error. http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/225790-have-i-missed-something/

It's interesting (and scary) that it's been heard again..

What's even more scarey was the report on the news tonight. Pitbull owners have until September 30th to register their dogs after this the dog catchers are allowed to go house to house and look over your fence, if they deem you have a pitbull they are allowed to seize it, then and there. HOW do they deem its a pitbull??????

A good suggestion was made in the news thread.

If you have a dog remotely pitbull looking, keep it locked in your house when you are out.

If I was in VIC at the moment, its wat I would be doing even if I has a purebred amstaff or stafford or any bull type breed :(

Does anyone know how long you have to reclaim your dog if it is seized?

Actually, I think it would be a good thing if pollies did decide to add SBT's to the list, although I think in this case, it's reporting that has mixed up the breeds and a misuse of the name by a pollie.

If they did decide to add "staffy" , finally people might sit up and take some bloody notice , about what has been going on. Every second man and his dog, is an SBT or a cross bred there of.

If its registered, then you have nothing to worry about it appears.

BSL was introduced in Vic in 2005. Anyone who still hasn't registered their dog is a moron in my view. You've had 6 years to do it.

The problem is that with lose guidelines describing a 'pitbull', dogs that are not pitbulls may be destroyed. Particularly any American Staffordshire or Staffordshire Bull Terrier or crosses of these breeds. A lot of dogs fall into the latter category, so a lot of dogs are at risk.

BSL was introduced in Vic in 2005. Anyone who still hasn't registered their dog is a moron in my view. You've had 6 years to do it.

What leea said. Also, they don't just mean registered with the council, they mean registered as a restricted dog. If you own a staffy and it isn't registered as a PB, if it fails the visual test after 30 sept it will be seized and PTS. There will be no opportunity to then register it as a PB. Bull breed owners face the decision whether to register their dogs as PB's now or run the risk of PTS after 30 sept.

Help me understand here.

Situation one;

The ranger peers over the fence and sees a dog that 'appears' to be a pitbull, but is a papered Amstaff and registered as such with the local council.

What happens?

Dog is siezed and destroyed immediately with no right to appeal?

Owner is contacted and given time to prove that their dog is an Amstaff? ie ANKC registration papers.

Situation two.

The ranger peers over the fence and sees a dog that 'appears' to be a pitbull, but is a BYB Amstaff / SBT x / Dogue x / Lab x (any large cross breed with a red nose..) and is registered with the council as such.

What happenes?

Situation 3.

A dog that 'appears' to be a pitbull escapes from it's property and is collected by a ranger. Dog is not wearing a registration tag (but is microchipped as an Amstaff). This dog has NOT shown any signs of aggression.

What happens?

How does the ranger determine if an owner is registering their breed correctly before taking action?

Does this mean that any dog, including those of know heritage, that may resembles a APBT or pitbull "type" must be registered (and kept) as such?

I agree Secretkei,

Having a dog put to sleep because it resembles a PB by one person is totally dumb. Surely they have to allow the owners the right to prove their dog is anything other than a PB. I guess now the only way to prove your dog is a cross breed with anything but PB is to pay for genetic testing....would this prove it? Would it be proof enough?

There are just too many variables.....and as always its the dogs that suffer.

BF

Hi guys-

A couple of things. The standards by which an animal will be identified are yet to be released (its ministerial decision) but its likely to be visual, yes. However, we have heard that there is likely to be an exemption where the owner can provide an ANKC pedigree certificate (so basically, its either on mains or limited register) or a certificate of breed from a vet. However, this all will need to be verified.

My understanding is that APBT are not recognised within Victoria, however, so if you do own one, you will have needed to register it already as a restricted breed with your council. Failure to register it can indeed result in the animal being seized and destroyed.

Grumpette just posted an extract from Hansard. There is a right of appeal

The standard or description that was identified in the

previous contribution was developed with the

consultation of an all-breeds judge, a veterinarian and

an authorised officer of a local council. It provides a

tool for the public and for council officers to use in

assessing what type of dog can be declared as a pit bull.

A working group developed the standard for assessing

whether or not a dog might be of the pit bull type. The

standard has been written in such a way that it will be

the legal tool to assist the authorised officers of councils

who can declare a dog to be of a restricted breed. There

is no nationally recognised breed standard for American

pit bull terriers, and they are the type of dog that council

officers have had most difficulty in identifying. The

working group therefore concentrated on written and

pictorial standards for that breed.

In relation to the right of review, if an officer declares a

dog to be of a restricted breed, the owner has the right

to appeal through the Victorian Civil and

Administrative Tribunal. The Department of Primary

Industries has produced a toolkit to assist local

government in the implementation of this legislation,

and it has established a hotline.

Just make sure your dog is inside and if it's not registered with the council then they actually have no right to take the dog as your the owner when you sign te council register papers then legally you don't own the dog but the council do . There is a bit more to it but might help to read about it if your worried I know I would be. You have to do alot of reading but would be worth it. If they find it of your property and thinks it's a pit then your a bit stuffed to put it simply there is a bit more to laws than meet the eye it also depends in the type but well worth reading

Quickasyoucan - I think the appeal process is null and void if the dog is unregistered and found wandering, and if officer declares the dog to be potentially dangerous, or likely to harm a person/animal.

But it does provide an appeal process to people whose dogs are already registered but council decides they believe they are a PB cross. That is what a lot of people who have posted here are worried about.

Quickasyoucan - I think the appeal process is null and void if the dog is unregistered and found wandering, and if officer declares the dog to be potentially dangerous, or likely to harm a person/animal.

But it does provide an appeal process to people whose dogs are already registered but council decides they believe they are a PB cross. That is what a lot of people who have posted here are worried about.

Yes - the lesson here was to already have your dog registered.

I suppose there is overseas precedent :p

They're already a restricted breed in Ontario, Canada. Under the Dog Owners' Liability Act, SBTs are classified as pit bulls - fortunately owners don't have to euthanise them, but they are subject to restrictions.

Okay....How come they don't identfy by using a novel approach.

You know...TEMPERAMENT TESTING.

Why even bother with identify 'dangerous dogs' by breed or ownership by certain population demographics. Because as we know...it's deed not breed.

Has anyone ever approach pollies or councils with this approach to identification?

What leea said. Also, they don't just mean registered with the council, they mean registered as a restricted dog. If you own a staffy and it isn't registered as a PB, if it fails the visual test after 30 sept it will be seized and PTS. There will be no opportunity to then register it as a PB. Bull breed owners face the decision whether to register their dogs as PB's now or run the risk of PTS after 30 sept.

Can you provide a link to back this up?

I ask this not because I think you need to provide evidence of your statements, but because I can not find anything that suggests dogs will be killed if they are registered as one breed and the Council deems them to be another.

Here's the latest article Anne:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/councils-to-crack-down-on-pit-bulls-20110830-1jk6i.html#ixzz1WaB3tfSE

In particular:

New regulations to be released tomorrow by the Baillieu government will also mean dogs that meet the description of a pit bull but who are described as American Staffordshire terriers by their owners, will need certificate of pedigree evidence to prove the dog is an American Staffordshire terrier..

All the previous articles suggest this too. You have to wade through stuff because they get dangerous/restricted and registered/registered as a restricted dog all mixed up. When I have the time I'll dig up the quote from the minister that says something along the lines of "if your pitbull x isn't registered as a pitbull x before 30 September there will be no second chances".

Edited by megan_