Puppy Placement.in Thier New Home.

Purdie

Hello everyone;I was wondering how breeders choose which pup goes to what new home.Do you always try to match them or do they have to take whatever pup is available?

If a pup wasn't suited to a particular home would you recomend the people wait for another pup to be available from another litter.....Thankyou.

Hello everyone;I was wondering how breeders choose which pup goes to what new home.Do you always try to match them or do they have to take whatever pup is available?

If a pup wasn't suited to a particular home would you recomend the people wait for another pup to be available from another litter.....Thankyou.

I match them and I'm especially carefull where homes have children. Having children myself, I can see which of the puppies are outgoing but not hanging off your clothes and will cope well with kids. I've also matched pups to potential sporting homes. Sometimes a puppy buyer might get a choice between a couple of pups but never do they get to come in and pick from the litter.

If I had nothing suitable, I;d send them off to someone else that could help

I match them and I'm especially carefull where homes have children. Having children myself, I can see which of the puppies are outgoing but not hanging off your clothes and will cope well with kids. I've also matched pups to potential sporting homes. Sometimes a puppy buyer might get a choice between a couple of pups but never do they get to come in and pick from the litter.

If I had nothing suitable, I;d send them off to someone else that could help

x2

Rather keep a pup forever than place it in an unsuitable home just because I didn't have one that was the right fit - if you want that sort of ethics you can head to the nearest PP :(

Yes but what information do you need from the buyer about thier situation and how do you know which pup fits what type of home.Does this just come with experience or is there a formula so to speak.Should you leave the decission to the breeder alone or should you trust your own feeling about a particular pup.I am thinking of getting a Pure breed pup next year for the first time,so i am nervous about someone choosing a pup for me.Is this normal or should i just trust a good breeder to find me the right pup.

Edited by Purdie

Rather keep a pup forever than place it in an unsuitable home just because I didn't have one that was the right fit - if you want that sort of ethics you can head to the nearest PP :(

Yes but what information do you need from the buyer about thier situation and how do you know which pup fits what type of home.Does this just come with experience or is there a formula so to speak.Should you leave the decission to the breeder alone or should you trust your own feeling about a particular pup.I am thinking of getting a Pure breed pup next year for the first time,so i am nervous about someone choosing a pup for me.Is this normal or should i just trust a good breeder to find me the right pup.

As Sandra777 stated, a good breeder really has the best interests of the pup in mind and will place/not place accordingly. I think a good breeder would rather keep a pup than take it back from an unsuitable home further down the track. I did trust the breeder to choose a puppy for me and I was nervous initially. I think she did pick the best temperament for our family (we have 2 young kids) and I would happily trust her judgement next time. :) I think the only people who were offered some choice of the litter were show homes. Your ability to choose from a litter may come down to whether you want a potential show/ pet quality pup.

As for what information a breeder will need from a buyer, I suppose you can take it as a positive if the breeder asks you LOTS of questions! :laugh: I also chose a breeder that was happy to answer all of my questions and seemed very honest about the pros and cons of her breed. Good luck with finding a good breeder who you feel comfortable with, -and whose dogs you love! :)

Basically we need a good idea of what you expect from your dog, what type of temperament you like (and if it would actually suit your home), experience with dogs/that breed, how much time you have for training, grooming and generally spending with the dog. Will dog live in or out, how long each day will dog be left for.......etc

BUt do be honest with your experience with dogs, it will save you tears later on.

Remember the breeder knows the pups, they have spent the first several weeks getting to know them, while I don't pick pups for people, I do say which pup(s) are the most suitable for them and explain why another pup wouldn't be the right match.

so i am nervous about someone choosing a pup for me.Is this normal or should i just trust a good breeder to find me the right pup.

I've always wondered about this. I would feel more nervous having to choose my own pup out of a litter that I barely know. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit my pup's litter several times and was, for absolutely no rational reason (he had a scab on the back of his neck - I was calling him "warthead" :o ) getting slightly attached to one of the puppies. Luckily, he did turn out to be my boy ;) But there's no way I could distinguish between his and his brother's temperament solely based on the couple of hours spent with them (let alone if they had been interstate and there were only photos and second-hand updates to go off) so I'm glad the decision was taken away from me. Otherwise I'd always wonder: what if I picked the wrong dog?

My girl was the only one not spoken for in the litter, the breeder thought we sounded like good owners so either we could take her, or we could pass and she would have been someone elses.

I'm really going to value breeder input with the next dog I hope to get. I want another dog to do sledding with, but it also has to be the right fit for our family. I know I would just get caught up with gorgeous markings if left to pick and might not choose the right dog? :o

For a pet I would be guided by the breeders advice, I would like some choice, even if it just 2 puppies. But I would also be happy if the breeder thought only one was suitable- you can always go along and meet the puppy, if you don't feel good about it, then you don't have to buy and can look elsewhere.

For a working dog or performance dog I would be pretty much be entirely guided by the breeders opinion and also want to be able to carry out some additional assessment on the pup and perhaps even have a trainer or friend be allowed to assess the puppy as well.

I was very upfront with people enquiring. they knew from the start that the puppies were matched to them and that they were only taking a puppy home if there was a suitable puppy. i was lucky that everyone was very clear with what they were interested in, and that each puppy seemed to fit well. The most difficult puppy (slightly more independant and stubborn than the others) went to the most experienced home. I asked questions throughout the weeks leading up to each person taking their puppy home, and was very clear as to what each puppy was like and what they needed. I made it very clear that I knew the puppies best and while I take male/female preference into account, that it was all based on temperament.

All my dogs have been chosen for me and I was very happy with their choices. there was no other way for me to go when it came to my own litter.

Thanks everyone.The dogs i have owned over the years have all been from shelters/pound or given/dumped with me;and i did my best with them but some were not really suited to me.This time i want to get the right breed and the right fit so i can really enjoy the dog and ensure the dog is happy too.Buying from a breeder is new for me so i wanted to know what to expect.I guess if i like the parents of the pup then that would be a good indication of what the pup would be like.

Thanks everyone.The dogs i have owned over the years have all been from shelters/pound or given/dumped with me;and i did my best with them but some were not really suited to me.This time i want to get the right breed and the right fit so i can really enjoy the dog and ensure the dog is happy too.Buying from a breeder is new for me so i wanted to know what to expect.I guess if i like the parents of the pup then that would be a good indication of what the pup would be like.

Especially so if the breeder you choose , knows the parents and Grand parents well. If the breeder has raised one of both of the parents, they will be able to tell you a lot about what to expect from your puppy.

Some pups are so similar in behaviour to their parents that's it's frightening ( both good and bad ). One of my girls , is so much like her mother, even though she was raised here.

I've sold pups that were very much like their mother/father prior to going to their new homes and many of their traits have continued to develop as the pups have aged.