Pit Bull Hand - In For Campbeltown And Wollondilly

RottnBullies

Link

CAMPBELLTOWN and Wollondilly councils are offering owners of pitbull terriers and American pitbulls the chance to surrender their pets in an amnesty until September 30.

The Campbelltown amnesty, announced last week, is in response to the death of a Melbourne girl who was attacked by a pitbull on August 17.

Campbelltown Council has 160 pitbulls registered but council planning and environment director Jeff Lawrence said there may be more they did not know about.

Mr Lawrence said any animals handed in under the amnesty would be euthanased.

The amnesty follows an incident in early April when a Claymore man suffered lacerations to his groin after a man allegedly set a pitbull on him after a dispute.

Campbelltown Mayor Paul Lake said the amnesty was designed to stop a tragedy similar to the one in Melbourne happening here.

Pitbulls are considered to be dangerous dogs under the Companion Animal Act and owners must comply with strict ownership rules.

"Pitbull owners must comply with strict requirements, or else face serious penalties or even imprisonment," Cr Lake said. "The amnesty gives pitbull owners an opportunity to surrender their dog to council free of charge, and with no questions asked."

According to legislation, pitbulls and American pit bulls must not be sold, acquired or bred.

The dogs must be desexed, kept in a certified enclosure, wear a distinctive collar, be in the sole charge of a person over 18, be controlled and wear a muzzle in public and owners must have a dangerous dog sign at their properties.

Wollondilly Council compliance team leader David Savage said the council would also hold an amnesty for pitbulls and American pitbulls until the end of September.

"There are currently 12 pitbull-cross-type dogs registered in Wollondilly shire," Mr Savage said.

But Camden Council will not be joining in with an amnesty, council environment and health manager Geoff Green said.

Mr Green said there were only four restricted breed dogs registered in the Camden area.

It's already spreading :cry:

Edited by RottnBullies

NO ONE in NSW needs to hand in any dog and we need to spead the message far and wide.

Dogs in NSW fall under the Companion Animals ACT. Even if council suspects that your dog may be of a restricted breed or cross, there is a process that needs to be followed and council cannot take your dogs from you or force you to put it to sleep.

Orange City Council tried this tactic in the paper a couple of weeks ago.

NO ONE in NSW needs to hand in any dog and we need to spead the message far and wide.

Dogs in NSW fall under the Companion Animals ACT. Even if council suspects that your dog may be of a restricted breed or cross, there is a process that needs to be followed and council cannot take your dogs from you or force you to put it to sleep.

Orange City Council tried this tactic in the paper a couple of weeks ago.

100% agree with RSG. There is a process to be followed. And under the current NSW there is NO requirement for purebred restricted breeds to be euthanised (although there are obviously specific muzzling, containment rules). As for crossbreeds, under current NSW law if a NOI is issued and the dog passes the temp test my understanding it is free from the restrictions. A couple of rescues have done this with impounded RB crossbreeds who passed with flying colours and found new homes.

Missed out an impportant NO.

Edited by Quickasyoucan

If someone already has a Restricted breed and it's registered and housed as such, then they DO NOT have to hand their dog in, they are already complying with the Companion Animals ACT.

If someone owns a dog that is registered with council ( as something other than a restricted breed ) then again, they DO NOT have to surrender their dog. If council suspects that the dog is of a restricted breed or cross, then as Quickas says, they need to issue and NOI and follow the due process.

If someone owns a dog that is not registered, then they need to register their dog as whatever breed or cross they think it is, again, they DO NOT have to surrender their dog.

I couldn't get onto the link, but if anyone see's any articles that you can comment on, please let me know and I'll post the above comments for NSW

No they aren't breaking the law, but they certainly aren't advising dog owners of their rights under the Companion Animals ACT.

This sort of thing has been going since well before the introduction of BSL. They are preying on owners who do not know what their rights are and for many councils, if the "be nice" tactics fail, they bully and harrass owners into giving their animals up.

One thing I have consistantly noticed is Councils like to flash about and threaten owners, with fines for having a " restricted breed " what they forget to mention, is that those fines are only applicable, if the animals has been declared " restricted "

This is sickening :cry: . Trying to trick people into giving up their dogs when in reality these councils have no powers to take these dogs in the first place without following the proper process. I really really hope owners are smart enough not to fall for this but I know that is wishful thinking. We just need to post in as many places as possible so that as many people as possible see it.

Why not offer an amnesty to register and desex instead of euthanising,

there are a lot of people who own these dogs who are too scared to take them to vets as they are obliged to notify council.That way if the owner wishes to comply with the rules they can get advice,I know it wont stop the others but at least will give the caring owners the chance to keep their dogs in peace till they pass on.

there are a lot of people who own these dogs who are too scared to take them to vets as they are obliged to notify council.That way if the owner wishes to comply with the rules they can get advice,I know it wont stop the others but at least will give the caring owners the chance to keep their dogs in peace till they pass on.

Nowhere under the CAA does it say that vets should do in an owner to council. The vets I know, couldn't care less what breed a dog is, or might be, they are there to provide a service to their clients.

The only person that can determine a dog to be of a " restricted breed or cross " is a "breed assessor". Councils can suspect a dog might be, but that is as far as their powers extend, from there they must issue a Notice Of Intent and it's the " breed assessor" who ultimately makes the decision.

Owners need to register their dogs and it's up to Council to track them down and go through the process. There's no way in hell I'd hand a dog in, just because Council are running a supposed amnesty. If council wants the dogs gone, then council can do the hard work and track them down. Personal experience has shown me that if you have a dog with a decent temperament, breed assessors will pass the dog with flying colours and at worst, send you off to have a temp test.

Owners are better off registering their dogs and taking their chances, rather than handing them in.

To be honest, this so called " amnesty" is bullsh#t and the worst that can happen if Council thinks you have a "Pit Bull " is you get issued with an NOI, they have no powers to seize or do anything but follow the due process.

To be honest, this so called " amnesty" is bullsh#t and the worst that can happen if Council thinks you have a "Pit Bull " is you get issued with an NOI, they have no powers to seize or do anything but follow the due process.
That's the plain bold truth of it ay! :thumbsup:

Nowhere under the CAA does it say that vets should do in an owner to council. The vets I know, couldn't care less what breed a dog is, or might be, they are there to provide a service to their clients.

The only person that can determine a dog to be of a " restricted breed or cross " is a "breed assessor". Councils can suspect a dog might be, but that is as far as their powers extend, from there they must issue a Notice Of Intent and it's the " breed assessor" who ultimately makes the decision.

Owners need to register their dogs and it's up to Council to track them down and go through the process. There's no way in hell I'd hand a dog in, just because Council are running a supposed amnesty. If council wants the dogs gone, then council can do the hard work and track them down. Personal experience has shown me that if you have a dog with a decent temperament, breed assessors will pass the dog with flying colours and at worst, send you off to have a temp test.

Owners are better off registering their dogs and taking their chances, rather than handing them in.

Not saying it is a law and also agree that its not right,they are using scare mongering, but in the campbelltown area there are some vets who will notify council and others who will do the right thing, a young work colleague lost his pup (which he had bought as an amstaff) this way, when doing the right thing took it to the vet for desexing prior to registering, but the vet notified council who then siezed the pup,he didnt know his rights so didnt think he could get it back,this is the problem in the area where unless you know the vets and you know your dog is PB you wont take the risk.

He now has a new pup and a different vet who doesn't care less.

If councils do all the hard work to prove a dog is PB there is only one result for the dog,also if they dont register the dog and it ends up at the pound????

What they are trying to get people to do is hand in their dogs and they are basically trying to put one over dog owners. They are talking about the fines etc that apply for "restricted breeds" but those fines don't actually come into play, unless you have an already declared dog and you are not abiding by the legislation.

If your dog has not been declared and is registered with council, as anything other than a restricted breed or cross, then the worst council can do to you, if they suspect your dog to be one, is to issue you with a Notice Of Intent to delcare.