Using Human Meds On Dogs

juice

Just wondering about this?

I know when i used to use jointguard someone asked me why i didn't use the human equivilant, but read somewhere that dogs couldn't absorb it as well.

So, my BT has dry eye, and i was watching tv ads the other night and saw an add for drops for dry eye, and wondered wether i could use the human ones?

I know that dog meds are really expensive, no idea about the human dry eyes drops, but did get me thinking.

i have used human cough medicine on pound dogs who came with kc, worked a treat, and antihistamines.

All of Emma's eye drops were human ones, but they were prescribed by her veterinary opthalmologist. So yes there are many things along these lines where the human equivalent is much cheaper than the animal one but check with your vet (or in this case maybe a vet opthalmologist) to make sure.

If they are veterinarian approved. Remember its not always the dose or the drug but the other chemicals within the medication which can cause problems.

Many human meds are fine but legally only a veterinarian can give you off label advice.

Just wondering about this?

I know when i used to use jointguard someone asked me why i didn't use the human equivilant, but read somewhere that dogs couldn't absorb it as well.

So, my BT has dry eye, and i was watching tv ads the other night and saw an add for drops for dry eye, and wondered wether i could use the human ones?

I know that dog meds are really expensive, no idea about the human dry eyes drops, but did get me thinking.

i have used human cough medicine on pound dogs who came with kc, worked a treat, and antihistamines.

I think it's okay, in some situations, to use certain human medications

on dogs.

I flush my Pugs' eyes out with Bausch & Lomb Saline Solution, followed by Viscotears eye drops, every day. I used to do it 3 times a week...but now that we live near the beach (and we go every day), I do it every day.

Viscotears was recommended to me by a Veterinary Opthalmologist.

Was your dog diagnosed with Dry Eye? I don't mean to sound patronising, but how do you know? It could be a number of things. With my Pug, I don't muck about with eye stuff; I take him straight to the vet.

The Saline and Viscotears are part of his daily grooming routine. I don't consider them a substitute for appropriate veterinary medication and advice.

Edited by littlesquashyguys

The eye drops providing lubrication are most often an adjunct treatment for KCS, but do nothing to modify the cause (which is mostly immune mediated). Panalog is used for because the steroid is fairly long acting, however cyclosporin is normally the treatment of choice (and is not cheap). Does depend to some extent whether a patient has "Dry eye" (KCS) or eyes that are dry (sometimes allergic irritation) as to what meds are used and whether eye lubricants are going to make a significant difference.

Lots of human drugs are used but often the dose rate or frequency is different to that used in human medicine and require veterinary prescription.

Thanks, think i may stick with Panalog then.

She had the tear test done, it was 3 and 4 before the meds, and after was 9 and 12 ,so much better.

She still gets cream gunk some days, had to pull a load out today.

I beleive her line is prone to dry eye. :(