Another Help Pick The Breed Thread.

luffy4688

A friend of mine are researching into getting a puppy early next year.

Some background info:

-He and the wife, will be both 1st time dog owners.

-The wife will generally be home most of the time, so the dog most likely won't be alone for long hours.

-Has a decent sized yard.

-Will be given at least 30-45 minute walk/run/play everyday

Preferences:

-Medium/large sized dog

-Suitable for 1st timers

-Low shedding

-inside dog

-people focused

Suggestions? :) Thanks!

Edited by luffy4688

A slightly older dog than a puppy would be better for the first time owner - and a properly tested ex-racing Greyhound would definitely fit the bill methinks...

Check out GAP for some good research - call them and discuss what you are looking for, and what they offer with regards to matching up the right dog for the new family. GAP are very experienced, and do a great job with their rehomes...

T.

If they like hounds they will be spoilt for choice. Greyhound, deerhound (my favourite), saluki for a really soft dog, also whippet, Ibizan, the list goes on

if they like gundogs, golden retriever, flat coated retriever. They do shed a bit more though.

Main difference being the gundogs would be a bit more needy in terms of exercise and training, but are also a bit more biddable etc so it depends what they like in a dog.

I am assuming they don't need a totally non shedding breed (ie they don't suffer badly from allergies but are more preferring not to be inundated by dog hair inside the house)

I am assuming they don't need a totally non shedding breed (ie they don't suffer badly from allergies but are more preferring not to be inundated by dog hair inside the house)

That's right. smile.gif

Keep the suggestions rolling! thumbsup1.gif

Some of the Spitz breeds might also suit- The do shed twice a year in bucket loads, but in between that they would be fine. Most are easy for first time owners who are interested and coat upkeep is generally quite easy.

If they like hounds they will be spoilt for choice. Greyhound, deerhound (my favourite), saluki for a really soft dog, also whippet, Ibizan, the list goes on

not sure i'd suggest a saluki to a first time dog owner. this is from what others have said on this site.

Hounds in general can have recall issues and also can take an unhealthy interest in smaller pets.

But I would not have thought this was out of reach for a first timer to manage...? A friend of mine has just got one as her first dog and they are a perfect match.

But if they want a dog that is easy to train and will sit, stay, rollover etc then I agree and think a gundog or similar may be a better option.

It really does depend so much on what they like in a dog. Just my thoughts anyway.

if they are not planning on showing the dog a male coolie would be perfect.

Very people focused, very obedient, even my active female is fine with that much formal structured exercise although she does like the ball thrown to her every now and again whilst my boy that amount of exercise would be fine.

Hounds in general can have recall issues and also can take an unhealthy interest in smaller pets.

But I would not have thought this was out of reach for a first timer to manage...? A friend of mine has just got one as her first dog and they are a perfect match.

But if they want a dog that is easy to train and will sit, stay, rollover etc then I agree and think a gundog or similar may be a better option.

It really does depend so much on what they like in a dog. Just my thoughts anyway.

i agree it does depend on what someone wants in a dog. i'd say that many hounds would be fine for the first time dog owner, especially greys, but some hound breeds are generally not recommended including saluki's and borzoi. its not their recall and training issues, its their more independant nature. Of course this varies amongst individuals but given the opportunity they may try to rule the pack(house) and need management. Once thats sorted out they can seem just like other hounds. laid back, easy to live with lounge lizards, but thats after.

Its late, i'm probably not wording it right.

Some of the Spitz breeds might also suit- The do shed twice a year in bucket loads, but in between that they would be fine. Most are easy for first time owners who are interested and coat upkeep is generally quite easy.

Yep agreed. A lappie would suit, and probably a keeshond, samoyed, Jap spitz as well. 15 minute brush per day is ample (my show lappie doesn't get that much grooming a day!)