Umbilical Hernia In Female Puppy

mini girl

Picked out a lovely female from my present litter was going to keep her and hopefully breed her down the track - but just last night I picked her up for a cuddle and found she has a small umbilical hernia - I didn't notice it before - she is a 6 week puppy and will be taking the litter to the vet tomorrow for their first needle and check so will have a talk to him about it.

Her mother actually has a small hernia only found it after I had picked her out to keep - she is now just 4 years old - the vet said it was not a problem its only a little fat come through so I have bred her and never a problem at all in fact she is just a wonderful mum and delivers her pups so easily. Her hernia is no bigger than a small green seedless grape - the puppy's at present is about the size of a small pea - she is 6 weeks and around 2 klo. Never had a pup with a large hernia - very occasionally had one with a small one - like this pup so told the new owner to have it looked at and corrected when the pup was desexed - told them if the vet charged more than a normal desexing I would pay the difference.

I am now trying to make up my mind as to keep her for a few months and see how it goes or let her go as a pet and have it fixed when she is desexed.

Why did it have to be this pup!!! I'll ask my vet if need be can it be surgically corrected and they still able to breed - Any thoughts on it.

In almost all cases it can be fixed but I would be thinking about the implications of having two generations with this problem. Yep, sometimes it is caused by the bitch being too enthusiastic with the cords at birth, but sometimes it's more than this. If the pup is otherwise the pick I wouldn't be inclined to throw the baby out with the bathwater though! :D

3 of my females popped out hernia's at 6 weeks, they are now 8 weeks and already self correcting. They are just little fat hernia's, if I was keeping on it wouldn't worry me. It hasn't worried the new owners. 2 have gone/going to show homes. ETA and possibly for breeding down the track

Edited by Rebanne

Personally I wouldn't be vaccinating a litter at six weeks.

Hernia or no hernia.

What age do you think is best - not in any great hurry just want to do what is best for the pups - so much written on it its a bit confusing.

Don't pick up the puppy by under the front legs. Stretching the tummy will keep the hole from closing in properly. Tape a coin to the tummy with a belt of surgical tape. Tight enough to help hold the hernia inside. Do this after the pup eats so you allow for a full belly. Always scoop puppy up under the bum so the tummy doesn't stretch. Two to three weeks, the hole will be closed and the fat blob gone. No biggie..have done this many times.

No point throwing a pup out because of something so simple in my opinion. Jury for me is still very much out on the hereditary arguement based on my own past litters and many others I've followed with/without this problem.

Angelsun you will have to be dragged into the 21st centutury :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Putting a coin on the umbilicus will do nothing sorry, might look good and cover up the obvious but does nothing structurally.

There is natural gap in the abdominal wall where the blood vessels come through to the placenta. The blood vessels shrivel up and the gap closes.

This does not always happen and a hernia forms most times it fixes itself but sometimes does not.

It does not cause any problems unless excessively large which is unlikely.

Keep the girl its not a problem.

If we threw out all the humans with hernia the human race would be very small.

Took the pups to the vet today - he said its not a worry at all really - just a little fat trapped - he said the hole is not large enough for any intestines to get out and cause real harm and all should be fine. Remember reading an article years ago about a breeder of Cavs who said his best ever breeder was a girl with a hernia - its been like that for this puppy's mother had picked her out before the hernia showed up.

Thanks everyone - as I've said so many tmes before do we ever stop learning!!!

perhaps BB, but it's worked a treat MANY times for me (along with the belt used to firmly keep the fat blob (with the coin) from popping out.) for me, doing something this simple, that works..is far better option than surgery or leaving it and finding that the fat mass increases, as often can happen.

The big thing is simply proper handling of the pups..no tummy stretching...again....it works, so who am I to change that? ;)

perhaps BB, but it's worked a treat MANY times for me (along with the belt used to firmly keep the fat blob (with the coin) from popping out.) for me, doing something this simple, that works..is far better option than surgery or leaving it and finding that the fat mass increases, as often can happen.

The big thing is simply proper handling of the pups..no tummy stretching...again....it works, so who am I to change that? ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just as an update - took the litter to my vet - he said she should be fine to breed - very small hernia that is only a little trapped fat - but I am going to see how she is after a year before I make a final decision. thanks for all the replies.