Agressive 10 Month Border Collie To My Chidren

I would love some advice I have a 10 month old wheaten Border Collie who keeps attacking my 3 and 5 year olds, one minute she is fine and the next she attacks them unprovoked, I am not talking about mouthing I am talking about attempting to draw blood attack. They do not grab her and are not mean to her in any way. I thought it might be a dominance thing so I try and get the kids to feed her and I remove her to outside if she shows any aggression.

I never leave my children alone with her and they are supervised to ensure they are treating her nicely.

I have had her from 10 weeks old and is very loved and cared for, I am at the point if it does not stop I will have to re-home her, she is fine with other peoples kids and is not aggressive to adults and dogs. She goes to the dog park every day and is fine with everyone there, if anything she is too friendly.

Any suggestions?

never ever rehome an aggressive dog. Give Steve at K9 Pro a call NOW and book that dog in for a brain scan/blood test especially for thyroid and hormone at the vet. If she's not fixable then a one way trip to the vet. Dogs showing human aggression like yours are never in a rehomable category.

Agreed with Nekhbet.

As an aside in the mean time, simply supervising your little children with her is not enough. It would take just a split second for her to do some major damage. Call K9 pro now. Also don't assume just because she has never shown aggression towards other children / adults that she does not pose a very real risk. Your dog is giving you all the warning signs, it is your responsibility to act now before someone is seriously injured.

Stop your children feeding her IMMEDIATELY. This is one of the worst things you can do if the dog is doing as you describe. Agree with Nek that you need to call K9Pro and get professional assistance. I wouldn't consider her rehomable either, and would be keeping her away from your children (and others) at all times until you've seen a professional.. What does her breeder have to say about it?

Edited by Bundyburger

Thanks for the reply, I live in Sydney do you have any suggestions on who I can call. I will take her to the Vet this week and talk to them about tests, I would never rehome her in a house with kids and she has never shown aggression to other kids I am assuming it's because she is jealous of my kids. I do agree if she can not be fixed I would not try to rehome her.

wheaten is not a recognised BC colour, its red and white. If you bought from someone breeding 'wheaten' and its a rare colour there's a high chance of genetic temperament fault if there is nothing medical.

Get a crate and lock the kids away from the dog now. Or put it outside when they're playing in the house until you get professional help before something terrible happens.

it's www.k9pro.com.au or whoever he recommends

Agreed! It's impossible for anyone to give advice on this situation or determine if the dog really is acting aggressively over the Internet. Please separate the dog from the children until you see Steve. If you don't feel you will be able to manage this, I would be boarding her till you get an assessment done. It may not be as bad as it sounds, but better not to take any further risks.

Thank you for the advice I will call them tomorrow, I have just had a look at their site and they are exactly what I am looking for. The dog does sleep outside and because of her behaviour she comes in once the boys go bed, we also have gates into the playroom and bedrooms so there is no way she can go into their zones. I should clarify that my 5 year does need to act better around her, he is not mean but he does sometimes knock on the glass (we stop him) if she is outside and it annoys her she will hurl her body towards the glass, especially if she is eating. She will go for him if he tries to pat her, I tell him not to pat her. I never have the kids around outside if she is eating. We really don’t want to loose her but my children’s safety is obviously more important. She has been to puppy training. We live in the North Shore, we normally go to Hornsby vet.

Thank you for the advice I will call them tomorrow, I have just had a look at their site and they are exactly what I am looking for. The dog does sleep outside and because of her behaviour she comes in once the boys go bed, we also have gates into the playroom and bedrooms so there is no way she can go into their zones. I should clarify that my 5 year does need to act better around her, he is not mean but he does sometimes knock on the glass (we stop him) if she is outside and it annoys her she will hurl her body towards the glass, especially if she is eating. She will go for him if he tries to pat her, I tell him not to pat her. I never have the kids around outside if she is eating. We really don’t want to loose her but my children’s safety is obviously more important. She has been to puppy training. We live in the North Shore, we normally go to Hornsby vet.

Hmmm, I wonder if it's resource guarding related behaviour.

Definitely agree with the above recommendations to contact a professional, and soon!

K9 Pro does have a waiting list for consults but we always have emergency consults available if you need to get in ASAP.

Edited by huski

We really don't want to loose her but my children's safety is obviously more important.

Absolutely! Good on you for doing something about it, hopefully it can be resolved. In the mean time could the dog go and live somewhere else. Kids aren't always reliable with doors and gates and I know how hard it is to always supervise just the one child, let alone two!

Totally agree - your kids and their safety are paramount.

It sounds very worrying to me. It is critical you keep the dog and your children entirely away from one another. A snap or bite with kids of that age is generally to the face and can leave awful scars.

Good luck - and be strong. Sounds like it may not be easy.