Level 3 Obedience Training Certificate?

Hey everyone,

We haven't got a dog yet, but I've been looking at the registration fees for my council, and they have a discount for those that have been obedience trained, but only if you have a level 3 certificate. What exactly does Level 3 mean?

We were just going to take our puppy (hopefully!) to a puppy pre-school type class. I suppose this would just be basic training though...

Does anyone know of any good training programs/places around Adelaide? I know there are some vets in our area that do it (e.g. Adelaide Animal Hospital) but I don't know if they're any good or not. I'll also look into obedience clubs.

Thanks!

I assume they are affiliated with an obedience club in their council area?

You should probably ask them directly what they mean by level 3?

It sounds rather club specific as nationally the levels are CCD, CD (novice), CDX (open), UD and UDX

I doubt it would mean CDX level, I don't think realistically the "average" dog owner is going to want to achieve this level to be honest as it takes quite a lot of time and effort even to get to CCD trialling level.

My local obedience class has 3 levels- red, green and some other colour (maybe yellow?) lol and then trialling classes.

For a puppy - all you need to show is a puppy school certificate. That is all they require for the discount. But its certainly worth attending some form of training :thumbsup:. Grade 3 for adult dogs is basically - dog will sit,stand,drop, on-lead, short stays, short recall.

What area are you in - there are a couple of reward based clubs aimed at pet dog training - ETA just modified my post since you said you were near the Adelaide Animal Hospital in that case I would recommend:

Canine Behavioral School at Trinity Gardens - http://positivelydogs.com/

They would also be able to provide puppy preschool recommendations in the area since a lot of their instructors are also involved in puppy preschools at a number of the local vet clinics.

Edited by ness

Yep the discount in SA for adults is level 3 (I don't know about pups - the laws didn't exist when I last had a pup).

There are a few great clubs around in Adelaide to get you there. Where do you live?

BTW I think this is a great law. Gets a lot of people to obedience classes and they at least learn the basics of training and handling their dog which I think is a really good thing. :)

Thanks! We're in the Burnside Council area :) I guess I won't need to look at obedience clubs then. I was only going to because their acceptable evidence was "written certification from Dog Obedience clubs and other accredited training organizations".

I think having those discounts is probably a good incentive for a lot of people, and the training will be worthwhile too.

I don't totally agree with it Zug Zug - my titled young BC girl wasn't able to get a discount last year because she didn't have a grade 3 certificate (despite the fact she was trained well past grade 3 obviously). I decided to get pushy with the council this year though and they finally gave in but it wasn't easy and they weren't going to give it to me without me pushing my point.

Edited by ness

Thanks! We're in the Burnside Council area :) I guess I won't need to look at obedience clubs then. I was only going to because their acceptable evidence was "written certification from Dog Obedience clubs and other accredited training organizations".

I think having those discounts is probably a good incentive for a lot of people, and the training will be worthwhile too.

My guess is you will still need to join an obedience club as you need an assessment. In my council there is a form they fill in, marking off all the required activities (sit, long stay etc) which you send to the council.

Recently my council has introduced a life long concession for certain level title in obedience, agility or jumping with either ANKC or ADAA. This is great :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: thats great buddy1 - our council has no idea about ANKC titles :rofl:. I posted something on my FB and another friend in a different council mentioned problems when she presented an OC certificate when they first introduced the discount rego scheme. Apparently that wasn't going to cut it either.

:thumbsup: thats great buddy1 - our council has no idea about ANKC titles :rofl:. I posted something on my FB and another friend in a different council mentioned problems when she presented an OC certificate when they first introduced the discount rego scheme. Apparently that wasn't going to cut it either.

I was particularly impressed they are also recognising ADAA title - which is great for me as this who I compete with. They have got alot tougher enforcing the rules, but before they did this made sure they where realistic and fair through alot of consultation. For example they are getting tough on breeders without a permit (council permit that it), but they provide a great consession for entire dogs having a breeders permit.

You do need to go to training to continue to get the discount, I am fairly certain a puppy certificate can only be accepted when they are first registered.

It does not have to be a DogsSA aaffiliated club though, private trainers can also be accpeted by the Dog and Cat Management Board and provided with the approved certificate. For people having problems over that last couple of years getting the discount - I think that is the problem - anything different to the standard certificate throws them in a spin. I have not put my youngest through formal levels but luckily the club I have been involved with over the years were happy to sign a certificate for me after seeing me at training with her once.

Piper - that must depend on the council - a friend was telling me they only ever requested a puppy certificate and never ask for another one again. When they sent out the paperwork the following year the trained dog discount was already included as a default.

I don't totally agree with it Zug Zug - my titled young BC girl wasn't able to get a discount last year because she didn't have a grade 3 certificate (despite the fact she was trained well past grade 3 obviously). I decided to get pushy with the council this year though and they finally gave in but it wasn't easy and they weren't going to give it to me without me pushing my point.

I don't agree with it either. Our obedience club make you get to grade 3 before giving the certificate, despite the fact that the things they need to do on the certificate are things they learn in grade 1. The other club that only Halo goes to give it after completing grade 1, so Halo gets a discount on her rego whereas Akira (who is in a higher grade) does not. Just seems a bit silly.

My guess is you will still need to join an obedience club as you need an assessment. In my council there is a form they fill in, marking off all the required activities (sit, long stay etc) which you send to the council.

Recently my council has introduced a life long concession for certain level title in obedience, agility or jumping with either ANKC or ADAA. This is great :thumbsup:

Hey buddy1, where in QLD is that? I didnt know this existed anywhere, and one night after a few wines my mum an I started on about how great it would be if councils offered subsidised fees for trained dogs! :rofl:

Its a bit disappointing that all councils don't take this approach! I am especially surprised a council like Brisbane council doesn't offer anything like this. :cry:

My dog has passed.

I get discount for - passed obedience, microchipped and desexed. Takes rego under $20pa - but I do like the lifetime rego system in NSW better.

The list required is

all on lead

* stay for 10 seconds

* walk at heel for 5 metres

* recall to handler from a distance of 1 metre and within 3 commands

* sit - within 3 commands (or down or stand depending on dog ability eg greyhounds don't have to sit)

* not aggressive when 2 metres from a dog which is sitting quietly with its handler.

I'm not sure who the accredited organisations are - maybe ask the "government of SA, dog and cat management board" since the certificate paper has their name on it.

I imagine all the obedience clubs can issue one of these. At SADOC (my club) - you can get one on request from the chief instructor after your dog has passed grade 3, though apart from the aggressive thing - most of that stuff is way easier than grade 3. Not that I have an aggressive dog.

I'm pretty sure if Ness had asked the right person at the club she would have got one. Rob did mine. Chris is chief instructor.

And it's a for life thing. Once it's on the council computer - you don't have to show them it again. I imagine you might have to find all the evidence if you move and have to register dog in a different council though.

sit-sit-sit, come-come-come - arrrgghhh....

I'm pretty sure Unley council runs an 8 week course that gives you this certificate at the end, but it costs more than joining my dog club for a year (10 months of classes). Similar deal with the Delta trainers.

I'm not sure about recommending SAODC at the moment because - after puppy is 6 months old they do "yank and crank paddock bashing" with slip collars mostly. I know that Dover Gardens is in the process of changing to something more rewards based cf Susan Garrett and friends. I have seen a puppy that trained with Noarlunga Obedience club and was pretty impressed with him. I don't know if they do yank and crank or not.

And I like the way the dogs work that come from Para Districts. So I guess it kind of depends where you are and what style of training you want to try. And when is convenient to do classes.

Well MRB it was more a case of why should I have to hassle a club - I would not be the only person with a DogsSA title and figured it would help to educate the council as to what might be higher then of grade 3 standard. Yes I do "train" at a club but when I first went to present my information to council Kenz was having the occasional session at training but had never been in a class and not even been through the ring much. She did however have her DWDF.S title. I didn't push it. But I figured it was stupid not to push it this year when she had a couple of "obedience" passes to her name.

In fact when I first applied for the trained dog discount with Ness - I presented all her paperwork and it was only when they saw a club membership badge in the back of my folder that they were willing to give it to me. Never mind all the titles.

Hey buddy1, where in QLD is that? I didnt know this existed anywhere, and one night after a few wines my mum an I started on about how great it would be if councils offered subsidised fees for trained dogs! :rofl:

Its a bit disappointing that all councils don't take this approach! I am especially surprised a council like Brisbane council doesn't offer anything like this. :cry:

It is Moreton Bay Regional Council. Last year they made alot of changes as they had three different rules from when it was three different councils. if you don't compete you can still do the test, but when you achieve a certain title it is discount for the life of the dog!! I have been pretty impressed with the changes. :thumbsup:

It is Moreton Bay Regional Council. Last year they made alot of changes as they had three different rules from when it was three different councils. if you don't compete you can still do the test, but when you achieve a certain title it is discount for the life of the dog!! I have been pretty impressed with the changes. :thumbsup:

AWWW so close yet so far! It is so odd that 2 councils, side by side, can have such different rules! Well i hope Brissy Council learns from MBRC and implements similar, if not the same laws! One can dream! :laugh: