Thinking About A Kitten

mrs tornsocks

I would really like to get a kitten to expand our fur family but not sure about how to introduce it to our 2yo lab. He's never 'met' a cat but gets pretty excited when we walk past the cats down the street, whining a bit, pulling on the lead etc.

I have read best to leave the dog in a crate or an area where the cat can get close but the dog can't actually get at puss (at least for their first few 'face to face' meetings).

Any tips appreciated - lab is a very well behaved boy, but he's still a young lab so can get excitable.

Sorry - edited to add; we will be moving house in about a year or so, and plan on getting another lab pup at that time. I would love to get the kitty now and move the 2yo lab & kitty to the new house, then get the new pup.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

crate the kitten (they can do a lot of damage if they freak out wile you're holding them) and let them have supervised interaction while you gauge their reactions.

The kitten should be ok. All my foster kittens have been fine with both of my dogs (though I haven't ever left them unsuperivsed together). Although ,they are generally slightly younger than what you would get from a breeder or rescue goup. I've only ever had a few that have been a bit hissy at the dog and they settled down after a few days.

It is important to give the kitten a clear space where they can escape from the dog (maybe an elevated position etc)

Also do not leave them unsupervised together until you feel they are 100% comfortable with each other.

Although Mindy is really gentle and submissive with cats and kittens at home, she will try to chase a cat in the street if it runs (though she'd probably come off second best if she caught up to it :laugh:)

So if a cats runs off in fright, your dog may react quite differently to a cat playfully running around etc

Give kitty her own room, let them sniff each other from under the door. Rub them with each other's scent from towels. Let them go at their own pace. That's what ive learnt when I brought my kitten back a month ago, but turns out we didn't need that - she was scared first day, then living with the dogs became second nature. Although my terrier would need supervision with her as she's so tiny! She also might not be used to so much licking!