Dumbbell Training

Just remember whatever you do, if you have a behaviour you dont want you're in all probability moving too fast.

As for training like that I would never allow competition. It should never be around competition it should be about focus

can you tell I'm lazy lol and not read everything

Just remember whatever you do, if you have a behaviour you dont want you're in all probability moving too fast.

As for training like that I would never allow competition. It should never be around competition it should be about focus

can you tell I'm lazy lol and not read everything

:laugh: Maybe critique the last video (day 8)? I'd be grateful of any tips - it's just that that video represents the current situation and supersedes the previous ones :) Thanks!

For me teaching my dog to hold something in his mouth on cue was really hard for me. He loved to retrieve but would drop balls, sticks etc halfway back to me. So i had to go back and start at the beginning. I gave him a rolled up pair of socks ( which he has always fancied) and then had a huge party when he had it in his mouth and i said good hold gave him a jackpot. Then i started holding dummy and click treated when he had it in his mouth. He is now heaps better.

Edited by Mason2009

I had my first solid meal for the week so I may make sense ..

Elbie is looking good, for Hoover you are rewarding him for mistakes.

In the one where he sits away from you, you let him come to you and then say good boy - he had nothing to let him know he did wrong. When he breaks in the second before you say fetch you let him finish the entire retrieve behaviour and still say good boy, hence you will find he will keep making 'mistakes' at that point.

Dont reward when the dog makes a mistake. If Hoover breaks position you are better to go 'ahh no', go get the dumbell and start again. As for not coming over to you, same thing again but next time 1) dont throw the dumbell as far and 2) have a reward available to guide Hoover in to you to limit the dogs chance of making a mistake.

If you are going to treat the entire cycle - throw 'FETCH' retrieve return sit 'GOOD BOY' - AS a whole cycle you break the dog from completing the cycle, you dont just reward otherwise to the dog you are rewarding the 'mistake' as part of that cycle. Uta Bindells does this with her Malinois, but she takes it in baby steps and if they do a stuff up she goes 'uh uh' and turns her face away from the dog showing they made a mistake. The dog gets a clear message the behaviour it exhibited was not required and to try again the next time :)