Choosing A Dog For Dog Sports?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wave: Hi Casima - long time no see on here ;)

My new border collie puppy's litter is 1 week old today.

:love: Puppies!!! I'm so puppy clucky but I've sworn that I have to wait until Zee is at least 4, I'll live through you for a while to tide me over. :laugh:

I should probably get a WL border collie but I do prefer the ANKC ones. The dogs are pets first here. To be honest I only do dog sports because of the breed I have. I wouldn't do sports if the dogs didn't like it and get something out of it.

same here jules :thumbsup:

I don't mean any offense here, but I think that opinion is easier to have when your current dog/s like, and are good at, dog sports ;)

Our first dog is a rescue mutt and he suited our circumstances at the time. He's laidback and easygoing and a joy to be around. But training? Nope, not interested. I couldn't get him to jump over one small jump let alone do an agility course. I took him through some obedience levels, and I got hooked, but he didn't. Where to from here? :laugh: We would have loved to get a greyhound next, but that probably would have left me in the same position.

So our next dog is an Australian Shepherd who is obviously much more suited to dog sports. She loves it, I love it, OH and I love her to bits, our other dog loves her, so I don't see why it's a problem that I chose her for her potential :) If she ever gets injured or cannot compete, fine, she will just be a much loved pet.

no offense taken :hug: the only reason im interested in dog sports is cause raz is :laugh: if he wasnt/didnt want/need mental work then i prob wouldnt bother, i buy dogs to be pets only really, now i get to do sports to which is a bonus :thumbsup: cause raz does love it.

that said if i was say a great horse rider wanting to compete in dressage, i would not buy a horse that was trained only to jump...if that makes any sense so i do understand why you would want to buy a dog for you hobby or interest :thumbsup:

:wave: Hi Casima - long time no see on here ;)

My new border collie puppy's litter is 1 week old today.

:love: Puppies!!! I'm so puppy clucky but I've sworn that I have to wait until Zee is at least 4, I'll live through you for a while to tide me over. :laugh:

Hi Jess! how have you and the dogs been? there will be plenty of puppy pics/stories I promise! my first ever puppy so I am extra excited :happydance2:

Sorry to go OT but I am another who also thinks EM is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Great looks and great attitude :thumbsup:

Thanks aussielover :) x Sometimes it's a challenge to keep up with her enthusiasm :laugh: Try to teach a new behaviour and she whizzes through all her previously learned behaviours in rapid succession - I have to be very quick with the clicker and I now lure more just to get her started. Could not shape 2o/2o as she kept doing perch work on the board. Lured it yesterday and she got it this morning.

skip - Em's breeder is in Vic. Happy to pass her details to you (just PM me) - she may be able to point you in the right direction in NSW. She is going away shortly so you might want to get in touch sooner rather than later.