Choosing A Dog For Dog Sports?

I should probably get a WL border collie but I do prefer the ANKC ones. The dogs are pets first here. To be honest I only do dog sports because of the breed I have. I wouldn't do sports if the dogs didn't like it and get something out of it.

same here jules :thumbsup:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should probably get a WL border collie but I do prefer the ANKC ones. The dogs are pets first here. To be honest I only do dog sports because of the breed I have. I wouldn't do sports if the dogs didn't like it and get something out of it.

same here jules :thumbsup:

I don't mean any offense here, but I think that opinion is easier to have when your current dog/s like, and are good at, dog sports ;)

Our first dog is a rescue mutt and he suited our circumstances at the time. He's laidback and easygoing and a joy to be around. But training? Nope, not interested. I couldn't get him to jump over one small jump let alone do an agility course. I took him through some obedience levels, and I got hooked, but he didn't. Where to from here? :laugh: We would have loved to get a greyhound next, but that probably would have left me in the same position.

So our next dog is an Australian Shepherd who is obviously much more suited to dog sports. She loves it, I love it, OH and I love her to bits, our other dog loves her, so I don't see why it's a problem that I chose her for her potential :) If she ever gets injured or cannot compete, fine, she will just be a much loved pet.

I am drawn to dogs that are people focused, lean, short coated, very soft and clingy ( maybe not so good in agility dog). And easily excited so that I get a wriggley bum thing happening.

:laugh: Apart from a little feathering on the legs and ears you've described my Little Em to a tee. But I would call her incredibly focussed when working and very snuggly at home, rather than clingy. A lot of people have trouble with the "birdy" nature of spaniels (esp from working lines) and Em is over the top nuts about birds - however......when we are training she ignores them as I've worked on that from the beginning.

Here she is at

I am currently preparing her to compete in a novice retrieving trial (waiting for my firearms license!), novice obedience and has just started agility prep class (but came into season). She turns 1 today :party:

Oh, Kavik - are you watching on a smart phone? That would be why - as there is a copyright song on it and it won't allow viewing in some countries so they ban it on mobile phones :)

Can't view it here on my computer either!

Definitely look into Brittanys! They sound quite suited (Spotted Devil I think we will find wherever ESS suits Britts suits too).

ETA I can't see it either Spotted Devil.

Odd about the video - can't be helped.

Yes, I'm interested in how the ESS and Britts differ from each other but I suspect some of it comes down to lines. Are the Britts bred to hunt close like the ESS is? Em will quarter and hunt all day if you let her - in fact that's how I'm exercising her now that she's in season. She is very, very determined to do what you want her to do - but they are very good at problem solving as well.

This probably won't work either....

HI

Maybe I can give a little more info...

I don't really have a fave breed as such but often will just click with a certain dog. Just one look and you seem to connect with some dogs.

poodlefan - in the past I have fallen in love with poodles (all sizes) :D , kelpies and kelpie/bc crosses, .helties, brittany, ESS, foxy x's, GSP's , coolies.

I am drawn to dogs that are people focused, lean, short coated, very soft and clingy ( maybe not so good in agility dog). And easily excited so that I get a wriggley bum thing happening.

As a dog owner I provide the best care I can and is my job to give them a happy life. I brought a house backing onto a pony club ( private training land :thumbsup: ) and when you walk over the creek about 6 playing fields. From here I can get onto miles of bike track around the lake. And the beach is nearby. Great place to exercise that more energetic dog. As a short exercise option I can throw the ball over the land directly behind my place. Dogs allowed inside etc. My dogs get walked very day for an hour, trained some days, agility twice a week and obedience if not competing Sat.

As a trainer (try to be) I think I am pretty soft, excitable, emotive, positive and try hard. I think my trainer might say I was keen, talkative, soft Or maybe she'd say I am not as consistant as she would like. :D And I reward too much sometimes.

But I do love my dogs as we all do. I understand JulesP's comments and maybe I should rephrase. Like FHRP posts - I don't mean a competitive dog who must win. But a dog that is capable of competing and might enjoy competing at higher levels. One that will be happy to run. So I can enter more runs at a trial. So I get to practice more skills!

My dogs - I have a chi x. She is a very timid and it is a BIG ask for her to run in a trial situation. I am very happy if she decides she will run and she only has "not at all" or "flat out". I love running her but I only ask her to do it once each trial now.

The other is a kelpie x chi who is 40cm and physically capable. However he is the most laid back dog. Even at home and on walks. He wouldn't be chasing balls or running around. He likes the odd play with a quiet small dog. I have just got him tugging.

I struggle with building motivation. However due to good instruction at my club the handling is not so much a problem. Both dogs are easy to handle and read me so well. They both go where you ask them to.

But neither dog would enjoy doing multiple runs. I adopted my dogs 7 years ago roughly and they are the best. They are so easy to live with (now :laugh: ). They are no trouble and such a joy. And I think Iam extra proud of them cause they maybe didn't get the best start.

Both dogs enjoy trials only cause it means they are with me. The chi likes the BBQ chicken reward but the kelpie would be just as happy on someone's chair ( or lap ).

So that gives more background? If I get a different type of dog and it is not so motivated then I will smack myself and try harder.

I don't know of anyone who rehomes their "slow" agility dogs. Which is why many have multiple dogs.

If I didn't do agility I would probably not get another dog but foster. Or if I did it would be a failed foster or small JR/ foxy type dog.

Thank you for the info on structure. I can see how conformation is important.

I'm interested in what people have said about rescue dogs. As Woofen says I have heard that dogs in care take a while to show their true natures.

Weasles - if I did go with a rescue i thought that I would try for a dog with tug and toy drive already. And not a timid nature. More dog social and confident.

Thanks for your help everyone!

All I can say is- Typical Kelpie :rofl: Mine think they are lap dogs and loooooove snoozing in my chair!!

The friend I was talking about with rescues has Kelpie x, Kelpie and now a Foxie x. They are all terrific tuggers and calm at home. She found the last two through flyball.org.au where potential flyball dog (aka drivey and generally tuggy) get advertised.

I hope you find the perfect dog for your situation!!

Edited by ~Woofen~

Definitely look into Brittanys! They sound quite suited (Spotted Devil I think we will find wherever ESS suits Britts suits too).

At the risk of being flamed, Brittanies can be hard work for agility.. IMO they can be hard to keep on task. Their athleticism doesn't translate into results for the most part.

A working ESS would be a better prospect IMO.

What size Skip? Small, medium or large. My bet that most agiiteers could name the top five or so breeds in each size for you to consider.

What advice would you give someone looking for a second or third dog to compet with and hopefully learn more in their chosen sport?

Research good genetics eg: just because someone owns a working breed dog doesnt mean it will work........

What advice would you give someone looking for a second or third dog to compet with and hopefully learn more in their chosen sport?

Research good genetics eg: just because someone owns a working breed dog doesnt mean it will work........

Look around the trialling scene for a dog you'd like to own and find out where it came from.

At the risk of being flamed, Brittanies can be hard work for agility.. IMO they can be hard to keep on task. Their athleticism doesn't translate into results for the most part.

A working ESS would be a better prospect IMO.

What size Skip? Small, medium or large. My bet that most agiiteers could name the top five or so breeds in each size for you to consider.

PF I would encourage the OP to look at various breeders and lines before they make their choice. I believe the Britts in the ACT are mainly 'French' type and they work differently to the US type, to the point the UKC has registered them as separate breeds. The US lines are known for their higher biddability and obedience, here is an article from a US breeder who breeds both strains (separately of course) explaing the difference. http://www.wyngold-brittanys.com/page9.html

As someone who owns terriers (sucker for punishment :rofl: ), I find the problem with both of my breeds are that since there are no 'working lines' or 'show lines', it's one and the same, trainability can vary, and so can temperament.

I bought my Tenterfield and then got into agility with him, he was never chosen for it, he is clever and likes to work - but only if he is in the mood, and his temperament is not really suitable for agility. Though there is an agility champion Tentie in QLD, so obviously she has done well at Masters level.

With my second dog, I knew I wanted something larger to do agility with, I decided on a Manchester Terrier, met a few and really liked them. There is an Ag Ch Manchester here and he was the only one I had seen doing agility in real life so I got mine from the same breeder and lines, her dogs were my preferred type anyway, it was still a lottery though. As it turns out she is just what I was after training wise, but she's on the naughtier end of the scale for MT's, the ones I met here in Perth were much more laid back than mine is. Mine's a bit mental. I have seen agility videos that range from impressive and speedy to a slow unenthusiastic trot :laugh:

You could get an adult rescue, you will have an idea of how the dog is temperament wise etc but there is so much foundation that is put into a puppy, you basically have a clean slate.

I personally choose a breed I like that will fit in to my home, then a breeder, preferably based on dogs i have seen before, but it's still a gamble.

You do improve your chances though if you choose a breed that is common in agility, and a breeder that has proven lines, just make sure that breed is your cup of tea at home as well.

Edited by amypie

:laugh: Apart from a little feathering on the legs and ears you've described my Little Em to a tee. But I would call her incredibly focussed when working and very snuggly at home, rather than clingy. A lot of people have trouble with the "birdy" nature of spaniels (esp from working lines) and Em is over the top nuts about birds - however......when we are training she ignores them as I've worked on that from the beginning.

Here she is at

I am currently preparing her to compete in a novice retrieving trial (waiting for my firearms license!), novice obedience and has just started agility prep class (but came into season). She turns 1 today :party:

Happy birthday Em :love: :love: