New To Shows

dogshowtux

Hi,

I am the lucky new owner of a stunning english staffy pup with fantatsic bloodlines that i would like to show. The only problem is i don't know where to start. Is there any particular training that is needed and what do you do exactly at a dog show? Also I live in the NT so can i compete interstate also or do you have a ranking system? Any and all information would be fantastic as i am very excited to start this learning process with my pup!

Hi,

I am the lucky new owner of a stunning english staffy pup with fantatsic bloodlines that i would like to show. The only problem is i don't know where to start. Is there any particular training that is needed and what do you do exactly at a dog show? Also I live in the NT so can i compete interstate also or do you have a ranking system? Any and all information would be fantastic as i am very excited to start this learning process with my pup!

Does your dog have ANKC Main Register papers as a Staffordshire Bull Terrier?

If not, you won't be able to show him. If he does, his breeder is a good starting point for information and there is also a thread in this forum with lots of information for new exhibitors. :)

To show, your pup needs to be on the Main Register. You need to belong to the Canine Control Council in your state. After that, you enter and basically rock on up and take your chances. You can enter your dog at any show in Australia with just this, no need to belong to other state's CCCs and no need for him to be registered in another state.

Your pup needs to be trained to allow a stranger (the judge) to examine him while he stands still (wriggling is OK with a baby, they must enjoy it first and foremost) and he must be OK with a stranger examining his mouth (lifting his lips, teeth closed). Then he will need to trot on your left hand side with his head up and in a straight line (again, perfection is not required with a baby).

Best place to start - go to a show and meet the natives :)

Oh yes - and you'll get on much better in the show world if you call him a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - there is no "English" in the breed's name and most show people will get quite short with you if you make the mistake twice :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

Hi there!

For showing your Staffordshire Bull Terrier, he/she will need to be on the main register and a good example of the breed. Discuss with your breeder whether they think your puppy has show potential.

Here is a link for Dogs NT that will have lots of info on there for you:

Dogs NT

New Exhibitors Guide

Shows are held at the Winnellie Showgrounds on the grassed area, same as where the dogs are at the Royal Show.

If you travel interstate with you dog, you can enter interstate shows however you would need to get hold of interstate schedules, some of which you can find online.