How Much $ Do You Spend On Your Dogs

Guest Panzer Attack!

cha-ching  

184 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend (monthly) per dog?

• $50 or less
    • Between $50 and $100
    • $100-$200
    • $200-$300
    • $300+
  2. 2. How many dogs do you own?

• Between 5 and 10
    • 10 or more
  3. 3. Can you easily afford the amount you spend?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, if I sacrifice buying myself luxuries

I feel like a mean doggie mum.

We buy food, vaccinations and that's it. I get free flea and heartworm treatment (although I have to buy the cats) as I'm a vet nurse (and food and vacc's at a reduced charged).

I don't buy many treats, she buries them or she gets itchy. Don't buy toys because she doesn't really play with them. She doesn't really need a bed, because she has decided mine is quite comfy and roomy, thanks very much. (I used to find it a lot more roomier. :laugh: but I have to say, it's much comfier with her snuggled up next to you).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyojin isn't costing us all that much at the moment really. We used to spend about $150 a month on training classes but we are having a break at the moment before we start at more of a standard obedience class instead hopefully next year.

Food is probably $60-70 a month which is ProPlan kibble and his yoghurt and eggs etc.

Toys we have bought loads of in the past as well as been given quite a few, but the company we buy his food from always gives us a free gift with each order, which often gives him a new toy so we don't really need to.

He gets a bath at the hydrobath each month (one where we bathe him) which is normally around $15 and then we blow dry him with our force dryer at home.

Pet insurance for him is only about $20 a month since we pay a cheap yearly fee.

I can't really remember how much his worming and flea treatments would cost because I buy them in bulk so I haven't had to buy any more since when we first got him.

We do buy him collars and leads and brushes etc fairly often though.

Basic figure is just shy of $100 I think, and includes worming, tick prevention and food. He gets great economy out of his dry food and as such, takes about 7-8 months to go through a 15kg bag of dry. Bones are the biggest monthly expense.

Training, toys and vetting is irregular and not worth calculating for a monthly sum.

ETA: I forgot treats. That probably pushes it up to just over $100, I think.

Edited by Niques

We have a program on the pc which we've always used for our budgets and where our money goes. Over 3.5 years we've spent SO much money on the dogs. But this includes kennel runs, food, health testing, vet bills, toys, flea and worming treatment, beds. Everything thats ever been bought for the dogs gets listed. But we've done the same thing with our renovations, bills, clothes etc. I know where every dollar is spent. My mind boggles to think that we could have purchased a brand new 4x4 or fancy caravan etc. Makes me glad I dont have kids yet, lol

I'd rather not know what I spend. :o:laugh:

I'm the same. But I know it would be bad. My beautiful dobie loves to eat whole raw chickens, so he gets one a week (about $8). I think they need some human grade mince through their biscuits, so we buy a packet a week of that (about $10). The dobie eats a predominantly natural diet now, 2 days costs $5:30 + premium biscuits. He also likes his lamb necks, 3 per week which are about $10/week. Our little shepherd likes raw chicken too, so she has maryland pieces.

The dobie manages to lose his id tag on his collar about once a month at least - so that's an extra $17/month. The young shepherd has a lot of vet visits - $120+ each time. Also worming etc. And indirectly the amount of fuel I burn trying to find new parks to take them to...

We wash them both twice a month,$10 each per session so $40 a month there.

I think I save in the long run though, healthy teeth and healthy dogs.

Roughly $150-$200 per month for the basics - food (raw), supplements, training treats, Interceptor, pet insurance.

If it's a good week he may gets extras, if I'm tight it's whatever is in the freezer. I do have a weakness for new training gear and books so do spend up big there occasionally, but those things are always optional and more for my own enjoyment.

I'd rather not know what I spend. :o:laugh:

I'm with you Tiggy, sometimes its better not to know. I know I will think nothing of buying a hairbrush that is around $90 for the dogs and then look for a $2 brush for me same goes for shampoos, $30 for dogs, $2 for me. Plus the dogs get a variety of supplements along with their feed whereas if the supplement is for me it is too much to spend. They have umteen toys, blankets crates and beds and yet I still buy more, and I hate to think what I've spent on clubs, trials or show entries. Then add raw feeding which seems to have skyrocketed cost wise .lately I could probabaly go a good holiday with what I spend on the furkids and that isn't including vet bills but for what I get in return I think I get a bargin, unconditional love and companionship plus I have met many wonderful friends because of the dogs and my activities with them so better value than a holiday that would only last a short time anyway.:D Mind you I do wish I controled my spending abit better when it comes to the furkids, well at least until the next time something for them temps me, being on this site I get tempted far too often by what others have bought for their kids and the oh so tempting dog sites like Cleanrun. Destined to be permantly poor.

Well it depends.

At the moment it's close to nothing.

We won a large amount of Eagle Pack and Holistic Select food.

That was a month ago, and we're only halfway through one of the 6 catering icecream tubs I filled with food

So food is just whatever a few raw bones cost.

However I did just splurge on a new harness, dogbooties, gangline for racing.

And I'm getting a scooter (but my parents paid for half of that as a birthday pressie)

Just Orbit...

About $160/month on food (raw)

Approx $200/month for his medication (Cyclosporine).

I'm lucky I have an awesome boss who let me fore-go a payrise in exchange for his Cyclosporine, so I don't have to come up with the full amount every few months.

His food costs me a bit more than most cause he's allergic to all the cheap things like chicken and duck :cry:

Gawd, I'm a real cheapskate compared to you guys!!

I mostly feed Tonka dried food, say a pack a month for high quality $27, chicken treats at about $7 a month, maybe one wet food $3, flea and worming stuff. Last month I splurged on a Weathabeeta jacket because of all the rain, on special at Petbarn for $25 :thumbsup:

I;ve given up buying toys as the ones he has are fine and I don;t want to buy plastic crap, that is bad for the environment. Instead I invest time and walk and go to the dog park. I only buy tennis balls at $3 a 3 pack from Kmart... I am a cheapskate but my dog seems happy enough. Oh and a weekly chicken wing...cheap as chips :D

I dont think I spend much at all, but they are well fed,healthy and in very good condition. I did a rough calc and it only seems like about $34 per dog per month. Good value for the love and enjoyment we get from each other.

Not much really.... $70pm on premium dry food for the two boys, worming and flea stuff (buy that in bulk though) and bones... When they need toys they get $4 ones from the cheap shop... their last batch has lasted over a month and they were only $35. Obedience is $70 a year but we haven't joined back up yet. Although if you include the dog friendly car, that bumps it up by about $200 :rofl:

Edited by Bundyburger

That's so interesting to think about!

We used to spend so much money on unnecessary things and I think the best thing is to give yourself a budget and try to stick to it.

We've saved a lot by going to a bulk butcher where we spend $30 a week and we buy bulk kibble, we like the good stuff so we spend $180 every couple of months for a 15 or 20 kg bag depending on how much the pooch is hungry. We also give him things that we might eat ourselves like pasta or oats and vegetables.

We used to spend a lot in toys which he would just destroy in 5 minutes so I now mostly make toys, he loves to play with plastic bottles with treats inside (no cap as he can eat it) also I have a sewing machine and I make little things with old towels and he loves it!

We practice obedience at home and at the park ourselves I think once you know the basics you can do it yourself, we try to teach a new trick every few weeks other than that we just go over the old tricks otherwise he conveniently forgets!

I buy treats but if I have time I bake them myself.

My pooch has hip dysplesia so we spend $10 to $20 a week to take him to a therapy pool where he swims because he has a hard time going on walks. And he has pajamas as he feels the cold at night those cost $50 a pop and he has two but I could make them for half the price but im still practicing for that...

The biggest cost is when we go away and pooch can't come we like to out him in a very nice resort in a resort room where he's super pampered that costs $100 a night but we feel we wouldn't have it any other way and if we can afford to go away on holiday we can budget his accommodation in the budget.

I'd estimate a total spend of $100 to $200 a week.