Puppy Training

DzR

Hi All,

We bring our female Beagle home in 2 weeks, and trying to get everything ready, Ive had Blue Cattles and Border Collies in the past but I was younger, So training wont be 100% new, but im going to treat it like it is.

Ive heard good and bad things, but thinking crate training may be the way to go, Is anyone able to point me in the right directions of any sites etc that give the best adv. outline on this, I need to read it, Plus my wife who will be home all day with the kids and pup.

Also ive looked around at different crates, can anyone recomend anywhere good to buy them in South West Sydney, Ive seen soft, enclosed and wire/cage ones, Id prefer the closed almost carrier crates as my young kids cant put their hands in and touch the puppy in its safe house, but not sure if that will work.

Thanks heaps!

Ebay has some crates which are not badly priced. I did not crate train my dog until he was older, must say that with new pup I am getting in 3 weeks he will sleep in the crate from the first night it makes it so much easier if you need them contained, or if they need to be at the vet etc.

Hi All,

We bring our female Beagle home in 2 weeks, and trying to get everything ready, Ive had Blue Cattles and Border Collies in the past but I was younger, So training wont be 100% new, but im going to treat it like it is.

Ive heard good and bad things, but thinking crate training may be the way to go, Is anyone able to point me in the right directions of any sites etc that give the best adv. outline on this, I need to read it, Plus my wife who will be home all day with the kids and pup.

Also ive looked around at different crates, can anyone recomend anywhere good to buy them in South West Sydney, Ive seen soft, enclosed and wire/cage ones, Id prefer the closed almost carrier crates as my young kids cant put their hands in and touch the puppy in its safe house, but not sure if that will work.

Thanks heaps!

If you need to read it, i suggest Susan Garrett's Ruff Love book - we are reading it now and i am going to implement it on my 4yo girl to create better focus and drive when working. She also has a DVD called Crate Games which we did do, and it has been great for building value for her crate. No more sooking (almost) and no more barking to get out. Loves it, and has helped our drive and start lines!!

If i had a do-over i would most certainly be using crate training! My girl didnt see a crate until she was 4yo and in hind-site, it kinda bit me in the butt, especially for training.

EDIT: We use wire crates outside as a kennel, and a soft one for travel and inside near the bed. If you want to just get the wire one, there are some pretty good canvas covers you can get to close it in.

Edited by krustie22

This is from http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2098&aid=1022

Q.How do I know what size cage is best for my dog?

A.The right size cage is one in which your pet can lie down, turn around, and have three to four inches of extra head space when sitting or standing. While the right-sized cage may seem too confining or too small to you, it is not for your dog.

Especially if you are using the cage or crate to housetrain your puppy, do not make the common mistake of buying a cage that is too large for your puppy. If it is too spacious, your pup will eliminate in a 'remote' corner. Buy a puppy cage you will only use for training, or buy a cage that you can use throughout your dog's life and add divider panels when the dog is smaller to reduce the area to the appropriate size.

I cant really comment on what crate is best as I just went with the cheapest on ebay! lol my mum uses the first soft ones you posted for her bullmastiffs :)

:thumbsup: for crates. For a Beagle, the plastic carrier types would be fine - although it's also important to teach the kids not to disturb puppy in his crate. :) If you did want to buy a crate that will suit an adult Beagle, you can use some sort of barrier - strong cardboard, for example, to make it smaller while pup is little.

With little ones around, you might also want to look at getting some sort of puppy pen, so that you can give puppy secure time without necessarily having him in his crate - again, teaching the kids not to disturb puppy in his pen without your permission. Some people find the Bunnings compost bin wire panels really good for play pens, or you can get nylon/canvas ones.

If you haven't discovered it already, Ian Dunbar's site here ia well worth a look.

Incidentally - just a hint - if you can, it's good to have puppy's crate beside your bed for the first couple of weeks - easy to comfort pup without getting up to him, and easy to hear when he needs to be taken outside to toilet in the middle of the night - some pups ned that more than others, but it's a key part of toilet taining IMO.

thanks so much,

During the day the crate will be in the lounge room, and at night in our room,

Spoke to the breeder who adv. this one is best

called a PP40 it’s dimensions are L 57cm x W 38cm X H 46cm.

Im guessing I can divide easy, they sell them for $120 but they are plane certified

This one kind of looks ok, but yeah id like to keep it private from kids hands, easier to teach them aswell - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SMALL-24-COLLAPSIBLE-PET-DOG-CAT-METAL-CAGE-CRATE-/180692471521?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item2a121c4ee1#ht_4216wt_905

Edited by DzR

:thumbsup: Yep PP40 is the sort I was thinking of. My Border Collie started in a amaller one I borrowed from a friend - now has a big one (more than he really needs, but he can stretch right out in it._ He still sleeps in it every night (he's nearly 3) even though the door hasn't been shut on it since he was about 12 months :laugh:

You can use a strong carboard box to make it smaller while your baby Beagle is really little.

Sounds like you're going to have lots of fun - baby Beagles are super cute - don't forget to post pictures. :D

:thumbsup: Yep PP40 is the sort I was thinking of. My Border Collie started in a amaller one I borrowed from a friend - now has a big one (more than he really needs, but he can stretch right out in it._ He still sleeps in it every night (he's nearly 3) even though the door hasn't been shut on it since he was about 12 months :laugh:

You can use a strong carboard box to make it smaller while your baby Beagle is really little.

Sounds like you're going to have lots of fun - baby Beagles are super cute - don't forget to post pictures. :D

Il post alot of pics :)

Now to find the cheapest place to buy a PP40

After seeing a what Beagle can do to a door frame in less than 15 mins I'd go a wire crate with a cover rather than a soft crate :laugh:.

http://www.ebay.com....=item2eb543d63e

If you are after a plastic airline type crate PM Wayrod http://www.dolforums...er/9391-wayrod/

*Prices from member marketplace:

PP40 44 x 53 x 73 cm $55.00*

PP50 56 x 60 x 82 cm $88.00*

Hope that helps :)

Edited by SecretKei

If She also has a DVD called Crate Games which we did do, and it has been great for building value for her crate. No more sooking (almost) and no more barking to get out.

Also recommend this DVD by Susan Garrett. It is only about $35.

Crate training needs to be done properly so you build value for the crate and you pup likes being in the crate. This DVD will teach you exactly how to do this :thumbsup:

Edited by buddy1

thanks everyone

Still trying to source a PP40, also the breeder adv. the PP40 dimensions are L 57cm x W 38cm X H 46cm, im guessing they are measuring internal not external?

Also anyone know the best place to buy the DVD?

Hi All,

Just wanted to confirm the PP40 is the right size to get for a Beagle, il have to block some off at a PUP but want to ensure this is the right one

Our breeder said the PP40 is 57cm x W 38cm X H 46cm. but this appears to be the internal measurements or are they talking about the pp20?

Thanks

Hi All,

Just wanted to confirm the PP40 is the right size to get for a Beagle, il have to block some off at a PUP but want to ensure this is the right one

Our breeder said the PP40 is 57cm x W 38cm X H 46cm. but this appears to be the internal measurements or are they talking about the pp20?

Thanks

sorry to just butt into your convo :D . The PP40 dimensions your breeder quoted appear odd. I've never seen internal measurements quoted; only outside dimensions.

PP10 33 x 33 x 48.5 cm

PP20 37 x 37 x 52 cm

PP30 43 x 45 x 62 cm

PP40 44 x 53 x 73 cm

PP50 56 x 60 x 82 cm

from this website

http://www.puichinco.com.au/pet_products.html

hope this helps. :)

Hi All,

Thanks

sorry to just butt into your convo :D . The PP40 dimensions your breeder quoted appear odd. I've never seen internal measurements quoted; only outside dimensions.

PP10 33 x 33 x 48.5 cm

PP20 37 x 37 x 52 cm

PP30 43 x 45 x 62 cm

PP40 44 x 53 x 73 cm

PP50 56 x 60 x 82 cm

from this website

http://www.puichinco.com.au/pet_products.html

hope this helps. :)

Thanks heaps,

Just wondering then, is the PP40 or PP30 then best for a Beagle