Lame Kelpie: An Update

Isabel964

Earlier in July I posted about my 10yr old kelpie who was limping. She has inflamed muscles around her right wrist. At the time I was so concerned because the vet said complete rest for my kelpie who is used to 1-2 walks for an hour each, lots of park visits, beach visits etc.

Well it got worse for a couple of weeks. I could not continue to walk my westie because both dogs became so distressed without each other it was ridiculous. They are actually used to being separated, for example when my Westie is left at the groomers, or for vet visits, but they have never been walked without being together before. For people with two dogs attached at the hip, I would encourage you to do something different with one and not the other at least once a week, including a walk with just one. It can just be a 10 min walk around the block. When one gets sick or needs rest, this separation will hold you in good stead!

Anyway, she is so much better now. No limping. The muscle is still a little inflamed and we are starting walks, 5 mins, 10mins...no running, she is on a short leash. We did 15 mins this morning.

Anyway I just wanted to tell the people that advised me I just needed to give it more time when I was so concerned, that you were so right. Hopefully this helps others who go though lame dog concerns.

Ps. I was shocked to realize that dogs do not have 4 knees! The back legs have knees while the front legs have wrists. I can't believe in all my 40+ years with dogs in my life that I never realized that.

Edited by Sky