Morbid Topic

poochiemama

This is something I try not to think about but a few topics on dolforums recently have reminded me of this.

My two dogs are very close in age - about six months apart and are best friends. They've grown up together almost from day 1, they do everything together, although they are fine being apart for a couple of hours.

I just worry sometimes about the future - if something happens to one of them, how the other one will cope. How have people dealt with this in the past?

It's a morbid subject, and hopefully something I won't have to worry about for a number of years, but the thought crosses my mind from time to time...

The other concern is the heartbreak for us given that they are similar breeds, close in age..if we lose them both at the same age....

Wow, I'm really depressing myself here.

Any thoughts?

Probably not much help but, my two boxers were 2 weeks apart. Ari passed away in 2009 at 10 years of age. Nelsson seemed to cope pretty well but he didn't grow up with Ari so lived various stages of his life as a single dog. Nelsson will be 12 on the weekend and loves going to the doggie beach and having a doggie friend to visit every now and then. Apparently he cries for an hour every morning when I leave for work so maybe he didn't cope as well as I thought :(

I used to groom litter sister whippets. They were about 13 when the first one passed, the other followed a few short weeks later.

If they have never been alone I would be wanting to introduce a new pack member at some stage so that if one passes there is someone else still there to fill that void.

poochiemama, though a sad subject, I do understand and appreciate you wondering about this.

I think about things like this too, however (even though this really will probably not help you much at all with your current situation, it is food for thought for down the track) I plan for this prior to getting each dog.

Firstly, I always space them out in age when and where possible.

Secondly, the first thing I teach all my new puppies when they come home is to be confident and comfortable in their own company. I actively design my dog's lives so that they spend as much if not more time apart as they do together. I plan it carefully so as they never learn to become dependant on one another's company.

Of course they spend a lot of time together and always get along very well, but it probably one of the greatest priorities to me that they will be hardly more than a little disappointed when one of the others passes.

As well as considering losing a dog, it also makes general day to day life less frustrating for them and us when the dogs can be easily separated. Illness also comes to mind. There are many reason why separation can be necessary at some stage and this is why I plan for it from day one.

There will always be heartbreak for us. I dread this immensely, I can hardly bear to think about it, but I know I will cope. But it is my responsibility to ensure the dogs can also cope.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

It is never too late to do some more separation, building it up over time.

Edited by dyzney

I had two German Shepherds that were a year apart in age. I never thought about the fact that they were so close in age - until I lost the younger shepherd.

When I took the older one to the vet for a general check he warned me that at his age (11 yrs) he could just give up living after losing his mate. Sadly, a month after losing my first shepherd the second one literally gave up, allowing his arthritis to get the better of him. I then had to make the most difficult decision and allow him to join his beloved mate waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for him.

I decided I would never have two dogs so close in age again, however I now have a Goldie (6yrs) and a Shepherd (2 1/2 yrs) and I'm worried the same thing's going to happen again as Goldies tend to have a longer lifespan than Shepherds :(

Thanks very much for the replies....lots of food for thought :) I think there's definitely merit in the idea of doing separate activities with the dogs as much as possible so that they are confident being without each other. I suppose we just enjoy each day we have with them and cross that bridge when we get there, no pun intended.

I think it really does depend on the dogs. I have had a mother daughter pair that I was sure was going to cause major problems when I lost one. It didn't. I let the daughter see her mother, she went and had a good look and just carried on with her life.

I have also had 2 dogs that I wouldn't have said were that close. Yes friends but definitely Quest got rather sick of Reeve at times and liked her own company. We lost Quest 5mths ago and Reeve was beside himself with grief He is a fit and healthy 2yr old and I have had major issues

Sadly we whent through that sad circumstances in the last 6 months :(

We had 2 dogs 5 months apart in age

They were together 99% of the time from puppies

if we were out they were outside together , only time they were apart was when 1 had a vet visit

Tara started getting deaf and blind about 12 years of age

she followed Sam around , he basically became her guide dog

Sam passed away in December last year and Tara became so insecure we cant leave out side :( or be outside by herself

she sniffed for Sam everywhere , she whent looking for him , she fretted badly for him , it was heartbreaking to watch , then sadly mum was in hospital and she was left alone again by us , then dad was in hospital also , so once again she was left alone

she whent from having a companion with her her whole life to suddenly in 6 months left alone alot :(

I was advised to be prepared just in case , but so far she still with us at 14 1/2 years

I think having mum's dog here on occasions has helped her abit

she has time with another companion to follow around and then has time to herself

I was considering another dog at the time for her , but realised with parents in hospital it wasnt fair on a new addition to family at that time to also be left alone

As dysney suggested my next 2 dogs will have more time apart on their own so it is easier adjustment when one passes away

How do you guys work it so that the dogs spend alone time?

Seperate runs?

Crated in different parts of the house?

Our dogs are not penned or kept in runs as such, they run together. However, we ensure that many daily activities, outings etc are done separately. We swap over insides and outsides intermittently. And they sleep separately. Sometimes one is crated at night in the bedroom, one on a dog bed and one in the dog room. We just break it up. We have no set routine. I also do not like my dogs to expect routine. I like them to be very adaptable, which they are.

Yes, they spend time together, a lot of time, but not the majority of the time.

As the dogs grow out of puppyhood and grow up being noticably more secure in their own company we loosen it up a bit.

I will admit it is quite easy for us because we work from home and can shuffle things around all day if we want to.

If you want dog independance in your dog I really think the most prudent time to solidify this type of dog neutralisation is from the earliest age. Once they have that confidence, it is unlikely you will lose it. That dependance upon one another is ingrained very early.

It is not for everyone. From what I gather, it seems the majority of owners often get a dog for another dog's company, and they delight in them spending all their time together. and that is fine. Each to their own.

It is just when times like OP is mentioning is when it becomes an issue.

My dogs have a wow of a time together. They play, romp, cuddle and wrestle up and do all the gorgeous things we enjoy seeing our dogs do together, but because I give them the opportunity to spend enjoyable time away from each other also, and a lot of it, they are quite happy to not have each other around if tha is how I want it or for when I need it to be that way.

Example, right now Jag is in the living room watching tele on his couch. Fame is doing zoomies in the backyard and Dyzney is lying on her bed which is under my bed (I have a very high bed) in the bedroom. Doors are not shut. I tell them to go there and they know to stay there, but it is a place where they enjoy being so I wouldn't have to tell them to stay there anyway. They are all very mellow and cruisy and just blend in with whatever is on the cards:)

Edited by dyzney

I have also tried seperating our dogs from an early age and it doesn't always work. I lost my nine year old shepherd to gastric torsion earlier this year (very sudden) and my younger shepherd was completely lost without him. Yet from the day I brought her home I made a point of taking her to work with me four days a week, so plenty of time for the both of them to be apart. She had little routines like meeting him at the gate when we got home from work and going for a daily walk with him down the back yard (acreage) to "talk" to the shepherd that lives behind us :) . So despite the fact that they spent plenty of time apart her life was still turned upside down when we lost him and it took her quite a few months to get over his loss. She is now much closer to my Goldie than she was when my other shepherd was still around - I think she's just the type of dog that needs to form close bonds with another dog, despite her close relationship with me.

Mr Bubitty and I also worry about this constantly.

Bubby is turning 6 and Bitty is 2. They adore each other, never had a cross word and I wonder what she will cope if he leaves first. She has always been spoilt by him and she worships the ground he walks on. I have seperated them the moment she got home. They are not allowed to spend all day with each other when I am at work. I even walk them seperately every afternoon.

I dont think the seperation works though. She just adores him. When I come home the first thing she does is runs up to him and smooches him.

Mr Bubitty and I often split up to spend one on one time with the dogs. They have fun with us but as soon as they are released Bitty runs to Bubby and has to have a big cuddle/snuggle with him. I hate to think of what it will be like if one day she goes looking and her beloved Brother is not there anymore.

Bubby is fine! He is very cruisy and although fond of Bitty I dont think he is too fussed about her.

Charlie and Em are a year apart. They have a close Big Brother and Little Sister relationship (hence their knows at the Sibs)... from the start, I had to establish a bond with Em myself. We gave a close bond :)

One of the thousands reasons we got Em was for Charlie. She saved his life and gave him a reason to live (even if it's just to annoy him). Emmy absolutely adores Charlie. She is also very protective of him.. he just have to whimper and she will be at his side to see what's wrong. She is always goes to check up on Charlie.

But, Em is going to be fine when Charlie goes. There is plan when he passes away, she will be there to have a chance to see for herself that he is gone. Growing up with dogs, I notice that dogs accept death quicker, if they have a chance to say good bye

themselves.

It's going to be that will be always looking for my Charlie and be completely heart broken when he goes, and probably be longer for me to accept that he is not around :cry:

My Lab stressed very badly when our ABPT passed away.

I now will always make sure we have another dog to be around when an older one passes but then at this point in time with the number of dogs we have I don't see it being an issue.

Not much help here either.

My dog was devestated when we lost our girl :( it is absolutely HEARTBREAKING to see him look for her around the house for ages, every time we came home for about a month he looked past us and wagged his tsail in joy hoping we had her with us. then after abbout 2 months he seemed to adjust. We brought him inside to sleep and took him around with us to places and involved him in our lives alot more.

We only got another dog when we were ready (a good 2 years later)....not just because our dog was sad and lonely.....I wouldn't have coped with a puppy or another dog when I was so crushed by losing our girl so I wouldn't have put the time or effort into training etc.

I think it's okay for everyone (being us and our dog) to be really sad for as long as it takes to adjust.

There is plan when he passes away, she will be there to have a chance to see for herself that he is gone. Growing up with dogs, I notice that dogs accept death quicker, if they have a chance to say good bye themselves.

I was wondering about this. I've heard of dogs that were present when their mate passed having a shorter mourning period.

My two are 2 weeks apart in age and will be 10 in September. That said, I expect Bella will outlive Casper. I cannot bear to think of life after my dogs (esp Casper). Like you say CW EW, I'll probably be a bigger wreck than the surviving dog!

But, Em is going to be fine when Charlie goes. There is plan when he passes away, she will be there to have a chance to see for herself that he is gone. Growing up with dogs, I notice that dogs accept death quicker, if they have a chance to say good bye

themselves.

I considered this when I brought my shepherd home after he died earlier this year but it broke my heart to think of Indi seeing him (he was pts during surgery as he wasn't going to survive) - I couldn't go through with it :cry::cry::cry:

I notice that dogs accept death quicker, if they have a chance to say good bye themselves

I wasnt sure what to do with Tara when Sam passed away

We found him in the morning in his favourite place in the laundry

Tara stepped over him to go outside for a wee

when she came back in she stepped over him as per normal

I coaxed her back to Sam and myself

once she got closer she then started shaking and turned and walked away to the loungeroom

I wasnt sure if I had done the right thing or not as have never had 2 dogs before