Pls Help I Found A Kitten

chiara

I don't know. I would act one way if I found a flea infested, anemic very young kitten, and another if I found a well-fed, healthy looking animal... In fact I have found many obviously loved pets, and always taken them straight to the vet if they don't have a number I can ring on them. But if I found what would appear to be either a stray or a victim of abuse (or perhaps extremely unlikely circumstances such as being stolen and escaped - is it some sort of rare pure breed even?), well I would say I think it's been through enough and it's time to start a nice life. The last thing a tiny young kitten needs is months at the pound...

I think what some people are trying to say is a well loved pet that goes missing can very likely look like a flea infested unhealthy stray in a very short amount of time. It may appear scared or timid because it is frightened rather than abused...

Yep and some breeds are very wary of strangers, some of the Sighthounds in particular would look neglected within a couple of days and would act like they have been bashed all of their lives.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I acctually recomend people to not leave collars on unsupervise as it is just to risky.

Apparently it's just as risky to have your dog without a collar. I guess it's a case of weighing up the risks and your own circumstances and then doing what you feel is right (rathering than claiming that other people are doing it wrong, just because they happen to disagree).

For my own dogs, they wear their collars at all times (and their council tags, as if the law here). I'm willing to take the risk of them choking (which over five years, two resident dogs and 20+ foster dogs has never happened) rather than risk them escaping and not being returned to me because they "look" unowned.

Do you want to know what I recommend to adopters? Neither. I explain the risks of both choices and allow them to decide for themselves without ever trying to guilt them into my choice (the very thing I took issue with in your post- implying those who choose to keep collars on their dogs are knowingly putting their dogs at some terrible risk).

Anyway, kind of off topic.

Something about a cat or something :shrug:

I acctually recomend people to not leave collars on unsupervised as it is just to risky.

Apparently it's just as risky to have your dog without a collar. I guess it's a case of weighing up the risks and your own circumstances and then doing what you feel is right (rathering than claiming that other people are doing it wrong, just because they happen to disagree).

For my own dogs, they wear their collars at all times (and their council tags, as if the law here). I'm willing to take the risk of them choking (which over five years, two resident dogs and 20+ foster dogs has never happened) rather than risk them escaping and not being returned to me because they "look" unowned.

Do you want to know what I recommend to adopters? Neither. I explain the risks of both choices and allow them to decide for themselves without ever trying to guilt them into my choice (the very thing I took issue with in your post- implying those who choose to keep collars on their dogs are knowingly putting their dogs at some terrible risk).

I deffienatly understand having to have council tags on dogs and if that is the law in anyone's area i would not tell them to ignore that. I would do it too if this was the rule in my council but with great caution.

Reading back i understand that could be interprated that way, i should have said "In My Opinion it is just to risky." i did not mean to imply people are knowingly putting thier dogs at risk, just that a hell of alot of people dont realise how esey it is for a dog to get caught up.

Iv never guilted anyone in to my choice nor would i, i recomend people to not leave collars on unsupervised, Some have taken that on, others have not its thier choice.