You-tube, Etc. : Are Your Connections Fast Enough?

sandgrubber

More and more DOL posts center around a YouTube link or other video clip. I have a slow, wireless connections. The phone company calls it broadband, but it's slower than dialup most of the time. I find these links frustrating. Just curious to know if others are having this same problem. Misery loves company :).

I have ADSL1, it's all our little exchange supports, so You-Tube can be a frustrating experience for me too with the stops and starts. What I do is turn the sound off and let it run almost to the end, then rewind it to the start to play though with the sound.

I don't even bother with TV programs.

i sometimes fix the computers at work here and troubleshoot our computers, brother is a programmer, just a hobby i have but have you guys tried to ring the company to ascertain if its their end that is the slow conection or is your end?

sometimes it can be a number of things like the browser not being cleaned out it can slow down things alot, also not defragging or cleaning out registry or temp files. or the size of your RAM disk as well can have a significant impact. if the memory is small then it slows things down alot on the net.

I have this problem too at certain times of the day or days of the week...I am on a satellite connection. I try to avoid weekend and after school times to watch clips. The more people on our various type of internet the less nadwidth there is to go around.

My computer is a relatively new MacBook Pro, with extra RAM, doesn't need defragging and runs as fast as anyhing I've ever used. It's the exchange, it's limited to ADSL1 and won't be upgraded. I'm on the fastest speed the ISP offers but it's not fast enough for video to run smoothly.

Hopefuly the new NBN will address the issue but I won't hold my breath.

I have a little suggestion that might (or might not!) help! I used to have trouble viewing youtube videos as well until someone told me that you should pause it right at the start, before it begins to play. If you leave it for a few minutes,you will notice a small bar at the bottom of the clip, moving along towards the right. Once it has moved to the end, the video should play properly for you. It's hard to explain so I hope you understand what I'm talking about!! :)

I have the same wireless, sometimes it's slow sometimes fast, depends on the signal strength where ever I am . Sometimes it's even impossible to refresh a dol page without disconnecting then reconnecting.

I also have a fixed satellite for home use, it's usually pretty good until I max out my bandwidth and then its slowmo for a while.